HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting Bags
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Bags

There are lots of options out there. Years ago when I loaded for trap, I used to haul out bags of shot, stack them on the table and use them as a rest. It worked good but was not real portable.

Caldwell makes some nice bags you fill with rice and can be bought for under $20.00 sometimes. I have a set they work good. If you can get some simple emptyshot bags (or have someone with a sewing machine, canvas and good thread) and access to a sand pit you can make your own.I used sand weights from the lumber yard. You can buy bags of sand in 80 pound bags for holding signs up in the wind, etc.. all of these work. It is a matter of what you want to carry around.

What you want to look at is portability if you do not have your own range or believe you need to bring everything inside at the end of the day. When you have to move things around, then of course you do not want to be hauling #80 pound lumber yard bags around. Caldwell bags are nice, or perhaps you might want to invest in a range rest. I bought a cheap Caldwell rest and it works great. I think it was under $40.00. Some buy real expensive rest. It all depends on what you want and what you want to spend.