Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot Hornady FPB's today! >

Shot Hornady FPB's today!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot Hornady FPB's today!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot Hornady FPB's today!

Well, in spite of 95 degree weather and 15-20 mph winds, I couldn't resist going to the range on my afternoon off and shooting some FPB bullets for the first time. Have to say I like what I see so far.

I used my KRB with a rear Williams peep and a front globe fiberoptic post, 90 grains of 3f 777 and a remington STS 209 primers. I tried triple 7 primers first, but they were not as accurate. I pulled the plastic tips out and shot them only as hollowpoints.

I shot one group of 4 at 70 yards that measured 1 & 3/4 inches and one group of 4 at 100 yards that measured 2 & 1/4 inches! With the wind, that was exceptional in my book. In 4 years of trying to shoot conicals with my Omega, not once did I get groups that good.

Anyway, I am going to wait until a calm day to go back for some more experimentation, but it looks good so far.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot Hornady FPB's today!

Thanks for the report. Hopefully the FPB's will be another good conical option for those who are willing to pay. How much were they charging for the ones you picked up?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I have not seen them in the stores yet. I went to a gun shop today and was looking for powder, projectiles, and anything that caught my interest. That is some good shooting there with those conicals.

I got a chance to handle a Pro Hunter. What a sweet rifle to shoulder. I can see why people like them. And I handled a Triumph. While I liked the breech plug, I could not get low enough on the stock to hardly line up the sights... It was a nice light rifle though. I think with a scope though, it would have been perfect.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I paid $14 a pkg from Graf and sons. Hopefully Cabelas or Basspro will pick them up soon, as I have a visa card for each and can get stuff free from them.

Also, I forgot to say that they are a very snug fit in my KRB, not sure how they would load in an Omega, since they have a smaller bore. They required a fairly firm push to seat, but nothing like I hear of with sabots.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a quote from an email someone received from Hornady about the Colorado DOW's response to Hornadys asking if their bullet was legal:

"Interestingly, you are correct. We have contacted CO Department of Wildlife and asked for paper work to appeal their regulation. We have no clue as to why??? they put in a length restriction, but it makes no sense. Without the tip in our bullet, it would be legal. From a shooters stand point, there would be very little difference in performance over practical ranges and of course the game won't know the difference. We'll try to explain it to CO DNR but....
In the meantime a pocket knife will make the bullet legal."

Actually I simply pulled out the plastic tip with my fingernails (it comes out very easy). I suppose you coud try and cut the tip off and leave the stem in , but that seems like too much trouble if they fly well without it.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:45 AM

All this talk about restricted bullets in CO is kinda amazing...

Where I live, per muzzleloaders, for hunting anything big game, it's run what you bring...providing it's a .45 bore or bigger, and single barreled. Fair 'nuff.........

No bullet restrictions, no powder restictions,no ignition restrictions, no scope restrictions, ect., ect.

This no doubt would shock the remaining 49 states, considering...........
Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

All this talk about restricted bullets in CO is kinda amazing...

Where I live, per muzzleloaders, for hunting anything big game, it's run what you bring...providing it's a .45 bore or bigger, and single barreled. Fair 'nuff.........

No bullet restrictions, no powder restictions,no ignition restrictions, no scope restrictions, ect., ect.

This no doubt would shock the remaining 49 states, considering...........
Bingo, that is the way Va is also, if it is 1 shot, shoves down the muzzle and is .40 or bigger it is OK. They even say specifically that scopes, smokeless are OK. Simple and allow you to shoot what you want.The bullet restrictions are a bit severe, especially with regard to saboted bullets.Penna MLseason, after Christmas isFlintlock only, which is really a fun gun to shoot, but not for the initial MLing gun. I graduated to FL after I shot pellets for 6 years, then loose for 2 years and finally FL. I don't think I would have ever tried FL had I not been an inlinehunter. The MLers are much like archery, and the flintlocks are really like archery only 50 yards, actually they are worse, cause in archery with it snowing, sleeting and raining you can still shoot accurately with plastic vanes, with FL it is iffy. Anyway, agree with you, some of the rules in CO are very restrictive and limitsmany effective bullets for elk hunting (Barnes, Nosler) with sabots. Iplan on using my Smokeless Savage in 1st rifle season with a Barnes Origonal 300g and a Crushed Rib sabot, that is the way you ML hunt in Colorado with your rifle of choice.
Chap Gleason