Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Seems I Can't Shoot For Squat! >

Seems I Can't Shoot For Squat!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Seems I Can't Shoot For Squat!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Seems I Can't Shoot For Squat!

Ever have one of those days? Spent the week end at the hunting lease. Shot the Mustang with GOEX Saturday (report later) and did OK. Shot the .54 GP flintlock today and just could not get any decent groups together. The same loads that I usually put into two inches at 50 yards were printing three and a half inches or larger. I was shooting my usual five-shot groups. Sometimes I would put shots 1 and 2 right next to each other, then completely blow the other three. Sometimes I would spread shots 2 and 4, or 1 and 4, but put the others together real well. Just COULD NOT put a nice5-shot group together. I want to blame it on the heat and/or humidity, but I think it was the shooter.

The only bright spot in today's shooting is that I'm on about shot #80 on the same flint. All that's left is augly little chunk or rock that doesn't even look like a gun flint any more, but she's still sparking.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Seems I Can't Shoot For Squat!

Semi - We all have days like that. Thankfully mine are far and few between...
Joking of course. Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Some days you can knock the gnats off a fly's butt and other days you can't seem to hit the target. I don't know what it is, lighting, or whatever. I do believe that your focus or frame of mind has a lot to do with it. If you have something else lurking on the back burners or just not concentrating or enjoying the shooting session that's when it seems you shoot the worst.
Lately though I must admit that I've been impressing myself with my shooting prowess. But I know the crappy day is coming. I just hope I'm by myself when it does.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I sure know the feeling.. I had one week there that I was about ready to sell them all and just go fishing.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't help cept, don't squat with spurs on!
Ron
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Whats worse is having a bad day at the range. & not being able to shoot again for a month. I think about it the whole time, Was it me or was it the gun ,maybe I should try a different powder, On & onThis working for a living is really screwing up my shooting[:@]
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly right burntmuch. I won't be able to get to the range for three or four weeks and I spent Sunday night and much of today wondering if I should have tried a different load, patch, ball size, lube, etc. The thing is, I KNOW the gun will shoot the load I was using (unless I need a different lube in this hotter weather????? DANG! ).