Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another Scope Failure >

Another Scope Failure

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Scope Failure

Old 06-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another Scope Failure

Missed a hog the other day with my cheap old CVA Staghorn. Took it to the range this morning. The gun shot very high and the scope will notzero.Scope is a NikonProStaff 4X. Been on that gun since 2003 and 500-700 rounds. The gun and scope bounced around in my old truck forwell over four years, uncased.Now the scope is off to the busted scope box in the attic.

Only scopeson handwere two Cabela's red dot scopes purchased about threeyears ago. Putone of them on the gun. Laser bore sighted the gun and scope and will zero it mid week.The gun is now much lighter.

Never had a red dot scope on a muzzleloader before.Any personal experiences?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another Scope Failure

Falcon, I've never owned a red dot but have thought aboutbuying onemany times. Why don't you contant Nikon and see if they will fix or replace your scope?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a muzzleloader with a RED DOT. It is a CVA Staghorn Magnum .50 caliber. With the red dot is it an excellent 75 yard and under weapon. I have shot target out to 100 yards but the group starts to open up for me at that distance. In low light conditions they are a nice feature. If it is a Bushnell like mine, it can grow a tail in low light. Just ignor the tail and concentrate on the main red dot and it will still shoot fine. Although as it gets darker your ability to see through it becomes limited..

I also would send that Nikon in to the company. I am sure they would fix it.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is a Bushnell like mine, it can grow a tail in low light. Just ignor the tail and concentrate on the main red dot and it will still shoot fine. Although as it gets darker your ability to see through it becomes limited..
Thanks very much. It is a Cabela's. All it says ismade in Japan. No booklet or brochure came with it.It actually hasfour reticles; a small dot (yep, it has a faint tail), crosshairs, crosshairs with a circle, and a dot with a circle.The scope seems to come up toon targetbetter than a conventional scope. Might be good for shots at running game.

I also would send that Nikon in to the company. I am sure they would fix it.
Thanks. Will call Nikon on Monday.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have one of those Cabela's red dot scopes. It only hasa 1 inch tube but the cross hair reticle looks good and should provide fast target aquisition.