Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 today's range session >

today's range session

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

today's range session

Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default today's range session

Well I finally got to shoot the cva missouri, t/c renegade hunter, and .50 lrh barrel on the t/c renegade. I was a little disappointed with the lrh barrel, but more than pleased with the cva and renegade hunter.

Here are the guns, top to bottom: cva missouri rifle, t/c renegade hunter, t/c renegade with gm lrh barrel.

best target:

worst target:

best target was with the cva and 80 grains of 2f goex at 50 yards with buffalo ball-et and a wonder wad. that hole started out as three separate and then the middle got shot out. $30 find at a pawn shop.

worst target was with renegade lrh barrel and a combo of 240 grain xtp's and t/c cheap shots.

lots of other targets nothing spectacular on those. was pleased with this one:

three shots with the renegade hunter. 80 grains 2f goex and a wonder wad and a t/c maxi-hunter.

some observations:

cva missouri can shoot prbs, buffalo ball-ets, and t/c maxi hunters all equally well with 80 grains and a wonderwad. it will really stack the ball-ets. the renegade hunter loved the same loads as the missouri rifle but could not group as tight, but i'm plenty happy.

I couldn't shoot anything well with the lrh barrel, it's not due to flinching because I could shoot tight groups with the factory barrel. does it need to be broken in? Procedure was the same as with th other rifles, after each shotswab with both sides of an alcohol patch and then a dry patch. notice the gm barrel would cut the patches while swabbing, and that it really had a lot of plastic fouling from the sabots. unless someone can give me some advise it may end up in the classifieds. I didn't try any of the ball-ets or maxi hunters, maybe next time.

I didn't shoot as much as planned because my wife came with me and she shot too. I jokingly said I would like her to come shoot and she took me up on the offer. I really enjoyed her company and watching her shoot.

any suggestions regarding the gm barrel will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cory.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Default RE: today's range session

Odd. all the links for me, show the same picture of the 3 gunsexcept for the one of the worse target

Nice looking rifles and shooting. It always takes time to find the right load for each gun.

Im headin out now to my 150 yard range now with the cva mountain stalker. Going to take 1 shot at 100 yards first to make certain its going to be 3" high.

$30 for that cva? Thats a heck of a deal.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

really? the same pictures? i see three guns in the first and then three different targets. anyone else seeing the same picture multiple times?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:25 PM

You fixed it. I must have been typing while you were editing.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey cory, what are you doing man? Don't you know CVA side locks are junk. They can't shoot like that!

Nice shooting. $30 ??? What a DEAL.

I sure hope that lrh barrel works out. Might just need a little wear or polishing.Might be worth your time to put a box or two of Great Plains conicals through it. If it doesn't settle down, I'd fire-lap the sucker. I've used the beartooth method - worked great.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/48

Old 05-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a heck of a deal on that gun. And it looks like a great shooter.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

heck, I'll give you a tidy profit of $10 on that CVA Missouri just because...