Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelt Test day >

Powerbelt Test day

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt Test day

Old 05-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Powerbelt Test day

Just want to get a head start while i take a break from shooting. Hotter than a SOB today.

I took 4 shots so far at 58 yards.

245g HP/JB WELD Powerbelt,80g PS- Bullet expanded like usual,No difference.

245g AT/JB WELD Powerbelt,80g PS- Bullet held together great.

295g HP/JB WELD Powerbelt, 100g PS- Bullet mushroomed great and held together tight.

295g AT/JB WELD Powerbelt, 100g PS- Same as above.

The JB WELD seems to work best with the AT Powerbelts.

I am going to move back to 71 yards now and test the the regular Powerbelts and see what those 405's do.

All of the bullets recovered went 10" into the wet sand. Possibly more, i will measure next time out.

Pics coming in a few hours.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelt Test day

FG What is the purpose of the JB Weld? Are you trying to keep the PB's together?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Yes, i wanted to test this for another forum member who was interested in knowing if it would do any good.

Worked fine with the Aerotips but the HP's still expanded.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds great, I have always thought that if the would just make them soft points that they would hold together much better. Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Ok here are the pics

1st: 270g Platinum-100g PS-58 yards (Lost this one during my rainy shooting day)

Next Row: 3 are 405g AT - 100g PS - 71 YARDS, Two out of 3 blew out of the box.

Next 3- 295g AT/HP/JB WELD combo's and the one that is torn up is an 295g AT with No JB WELD @ 58 yards.

Next 3 to the far far right are Two,245 AT/JB WELD Powerbelts with 80g PS @ 58 yards, Below that is the 245g HP/JB Weld @ 58 with 80g PS. (All 245's were shot with 80g pyrodex select as my rifle shoots this best with this load)

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Found this on Powerbelts website:

Q. What's the best grain weight for deer size game?
A. This question has been debated as long as hunters have been going into the woods to recreationally hunt. Most people agree that a heavier bullet provides more energy and affords a quicker cleaner kill. The trend in muzzleloading has leaned towards lighter faster bullets for longer range shooting. It is important that you match the bullet to the rifle for optimum performance and that you choose a bullet that will provide enough energy on the game that you are hunting and out to the ranges you are expecting to shoot that game.

Q. Is muzzle velocity the only thing to consider when choosing a bullet?
A. Whereas velocity can help make shot placement easier at unknown ranges, terminal bullet performance is the most important aspect of choosing a bullet. PowerBelt Bullets are made of pure lead and will expand uniformly on impact. This is very important to the efficiency of energy dispersion to the target. If a projectile exits the far side of the target animal and continues downrange it is carrying energy with it that could have been displaced in the target animal.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

how are you appling the JB WELD ,show my one before the shot.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:40 PM

toothpick, and i build it up into a cone, squeeze the face of the bullet into a piece of card board to squish it in tightly and then "cut" the still wet, jb weld off and then use a paper towel to clean up what ever is left behind.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

[In referance to the PB site] Well that thinking is fine when you get to using it on deer but when you start hunting big bear elk and boar that have a heavy fur coat or extremly tough skin as well as weighing in at 3 to 8 times what the average deer does the penatration can be very important.
The problem for me here is that untill they do a little redesign or we find a way to make the hold together well enough with a reasonably heavy load of powder the rage and penatration are both limited. I believe that a more pointed shape and eliminating the hollow point would make them as popular as they used to be and much more effective on heavy game, in fact because of the design of some military bullets I have seen I am wondering about glueing or screwing a simple pointed plug into the hollow point when a heavy load is needed or a lot of penatration is needed. Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Thats why they say, Use the bigger bullet. 348g minimum for elk.

You see the guy that shot the 225lb pig with the 348g powerbelt and 100g pellets @ 30 yards on modernmuzzleloader forum? he said it dropped like a sack of flour and the bullet mushroomed like one of my 295g powerbelts with 90g pyrodex select.

The bullet also hit it in the shoulder.

Quick Reply: Powerbelt Test day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.