Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Getting BH209 to shoot >

Getting BH209 to shoot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting BH209 to shoot

Old 05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Getting BH209 to shoot

Blackhorn 209 is both the most accurate and the fastest [in terms of bullet velocity that I have ever shoot in a muzzleloader; however that does not mean that it does not require certain things and first and formost is the sabot. Using my Triumph as an example it shoots Crush Ribs good with 777 but to get the best groups with BH209 it requires HPH24. If I can get it to post the picture is the second target I shot with BH it took me one and some thought to figure it out. If some one who could would post it for me on MM fourm I would appriciate it one of the fellows there is haveing a problem with BH and I think it is his sabot fit. Lee

Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting BH209 to shoot

Good info. I finally got my hands on some BH 209 and was planning on trying it today until I woke up and found my kitchen flooded from my hot water heater going out [:@]

I will remember to take many forms of sabots when I go. I really-really hope this stuff works like what I'm hearing... That group w/the24s looks great!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

It seems to require just a bit snugger sabot than the other subs but when you get it right you can really tell. Lee
Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

do you think its the sabot style or snug fit. Ive got a new omega X7 thats got a real tight bore. The crushed ribs are about the only sabot I can load "without a hammer" Its good to start getting some info on the BH209 Good or bad Jay
Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Blackhorn 209 is both the most accurate and the fastest [in terms of bullet velocity that I have ever shoot in a muzzleloader; however that does not mean that it does not require certain things and first and formost is the sabot. Using my Triumph as an example it shoots Crush Ribs good with 777 but to get the best groups with BH209 it requires HPH24. If I can get it to post the picture is the second target I shot with BH it took me one and some thought to figure it out. If some one who could would post it for me on MM fourm I would appriciate it one of the fellows there is haveing a problem with BH and I think it is his sabot fit. Lee
Wow Lee, was this at 100 yards? Man that is hitting. Beautiful. You must like it since you bought a case, nowI see why. Chap Gleason
Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

burntmuch,If its that tight you should be all right if it loosens up after 3 or 4 hunderd shots you many need to use HPH24; thats where I am at.
gleason.chapman, 100yds on the Cleborne county club Range off a bench rest. tis amazing how much more shooting you get when all you have to do is load and shoot. I have been noticing that it dont heat the gun up near as fast as 777, which also helps I shot that one hole group with out any cooling time at all in 74 degrees. Lee
Old 05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

burntmuch,If its that tight you should be all right if it loosens up after 3 or 4 hunderd shots you many need to use HPH24; thats where I am at.
gleason.chapman, 100yds on the Cleborne county club Range off a bench rest. tis amazing how much more shooting you get when all you have to do is load and shoot. I have been noticing that it dont heat the gun up near as fast as 777, which also helps I shot that one hole group with out any cooling time at all in 74 degrees. Lee
Beautiful 100 yard group all touching. I am liking what I am seeing, I wanna try some in my Omega, which shoots excellent. Where did you get your case of it? Chap
Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got it from Graf & Sons by getting a case [10 cans] the hazmat went down to $2 a can, price was 29.95 +hazmat and shipping. Should last me a couple years I call and talked to the about shelf life and the said a few years was no problem. The 300gr Speer Gold Dots for the 454 shoul real good to but I think they might be a bit on the heavy duty side for deer but an elk tag now thats different.Lee
Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 PM

I have shot about 30 –40 shot of BH209 and like it very well so far. IMO it is the sabot tightness in the bore. It does not have to be quite as tight as my smokeless Savage but I did get a missfire with BH209 and a real loose fit. I did this on purpose to see if it would fire.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

I have shot about 30 –40 shot of BH209 and like it very well so far. IMO it is the sabot tightness in the bore. It does not have to be quite as tight as my smokeless Savage but I did get a missfire with BH209 and a real loose fit. I did this on purpose to see if it would fire.
Good idea to try that. Do you have to compress the charge like you have to with the Savage? Do you have to use a Federal or Winchester Primer, like you do with the Savage? Do you think it will eat breech plugs at $28/plug like smokeless 4198 does with the Savage and Savage Ventliners?
Chap

Quick Reply: Getting BH209 to shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.