Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 changeing flint to percussion ?? >

changeing flint to percussion ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

changeing flint to percussion ??

Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default changeing flint to percussion ??

Hey guys, tell me if this can be done. I can get a used TC Renegade in pretty good shape,but it is a flint lock and I want to change it to a percussion. I have a extra Green Mountain barrel I purchased for my TC Hawken 54 cal. will this work if I replace the lock with a TC percussion Lock, or is the stock different also. Thanks, Steve
Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: changeing flint to percussion ??

ORIGINAL: steviebiggun

Hey guys, tell me if this can be done. I can get a used TC Renegade in pretty good shape,but it is a flint lock and I want to change it to a percussion. I have a extra Green Mountain barrel I purchased for my TC Hawken 54 cal. will this work if I replace the lock with a TC percussion Lock, or is the stock different also. Thanks, Steve
Google "Converting Flintlock to Percussion" and take a look at the docs. The third doc in the list is this:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/hunting-23/12992-did-someone-say-winter-flintlock-season-page-2.html

which describes a Kit to do it for $39.95.

Several of us have wanted to go the other way of converting a Percussion to a FL. L&R locks is a good source of locks.
Chap Gleason
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: steviebiggun

I have two Renegades, one a Flint, the other a Percussion and I just swaped them out, and yes,the percussion lockwill drop right in.
I suggest that you take your Hawken Percussion lock and the Green Mt. barrel with you and try them in the Renegade to double checkthat everything will interchange OK though.
I'd be interested in theFlint Lock and barrel from the Renegade.
I'd swap you a Percussion Lock for the Flint Lock. Barrel $$?

-al
Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Spike

What you want to do will work. The flint and percussion locks will interchange in the stocks. The GM barrels sometimes have minor fitting issues, but no big problems.

If you are getting rid of your TC flint lock and barrel, I'd be interested as well.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can do it realatively easily. I believe somewhere along the line T/C changed the backsides of their locks so you may have to do some minor inletting for the parts (spring) to clear the stock. Other than that you shouldn't have any problem.