Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 making some homemade shoot and see >

making some homemade shoot and see

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

making some homemade shoot and see

Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default making some homemade shoot and see

if I read right. about any paint should work. so I got one done. but I am going to change one of the steps that I used.

I gathered all the stuff I need

I used an neon paper. then covered it with plastic wrap

taped the back. keeped the side loose.

this is the step I am going to skip next time. I put and circle I cut out of an target I had laying around. placed in the center and painted the out side of it just going to paint the whole thing next time and not use that.

then took the target that I cut the center out of and spray painted the center red.

finished product

I am using cardboard drink skids, most of them are beer. it on advantages of working at 7-11 can get as many as I want.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: making some homemade shoot and see

I've come to the conclusion that all this target making is too much fussing around. Walking down to the target each time is good for me and gives my rifle a chance to cool. Now granted it is a cool way to see your hits, but I wonder if it is worth all the effort and mess...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is, I think I am going to use them for plinking.
I have a couple of ballistic programs that have targets and a site that have targets I like. it is less work and cost even less then the home mades. and I need the walk, my waste went up 2 in, when I was laid off [8D]
Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with you Cayugad. Anyway, I hate painting - even a piddly little spray job like that.

I often walk to the target between each shot. Let's see: Target at 100 yards = 200 yard round trip x 30 shots in a range session = 6,000 yards x 3 feet per yard = 18,000 feet / 5,280 feet per mile. DAMN, I'm walking about three and a half miles in a range session. No wonder I need a drink when I'm finished shooting!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

oops ,made an mistake, 4 pants sizes. should of went to the range more when I was off.

semi, now you need an the calories burned
Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doesn't really make any difference how many calories are burned Corey. When I finish shooting at the hunting club range it's usually time to sit around BSing with the guys, cooking up some gumbo or deer sausage and camp 'taters (lots of butter, onions and garlic) and sipping on a few cold ones. The calorie input just seems to exceed the calorie burn rate no matter how much shooting I do. [:-]
Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

mmm, I just eat and reading that just made me hunger again

Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Well the walking is good for you.. then you can go in the house and have a hot cup of coffee and clean the guns.. Although the Birchwood Casey Shoot N C targets I have are nice, no arguement. All I am saying is the ones I made worked.. but it was a hassel to do it. I am going to make a few more big ones, just to pattern the shotgun for the final time with the new shot cups.. Plus I have a couple cans of spray paint around the house.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Question: is it essential to use shrink wrap for the "shoot and see"? I wonder if using black plastic over a light background might work and eliminate some steps. Particularly if one was to make a frame, the edges of which were a bit narrower than the cardboard backing, so that the cardboard was curved thereby stretching the black plastic and inserted in the frame. You could get the thinnest mil black plasticcheap, eliminate a paint step, and reuse the frame.

This needs more study...................
Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

could also try dollar store cheap trash bags, they are pretty thin. just another thought.