Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Apex And Maxiballs >

Apex And Maxiballs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Apex And Maxiballs

Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Apex And Maxiballs

Picked up 2 boxes of 240g maxiballs today for the Apex. First 4 shots measured 6" group @ 71 yards. These bullets fell right down the bore.

80g Pyrodex Select did great.

Next 3 shots i used a felt wad and holy moly!

My first shot was right where it should be. The next 2 shots were touching eachother.

The 3 shot group measures 7/8"

Very tempted to use them but i still have nightmares from the first muzzle loader experience with the maxiball [&:]

I gotta tell you, this Winchester .45 has not been very picky!

Hopefully Idahorons conicals will be here by tomorrow, i am really excited to see how those big chunks of lead will fly.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Apex And Maxiballs

Being so loose, Do you think they could be bumped or jolted off the load?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Yes, they could easily slip off the charge. If i were to hunt with them, i would have to glue the felt wad onto the base of the conical to help hold it in there.

Im not to sure i'd feel safe doing that either.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW that is some good shooting.. sounds like a good load for deer.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 PM

Have 10 powder tubes ready for tomorrow. Going to set up at 100 yards and see how she'll do.

I forgot to mention, When i got the maxi balls home, i found that they were unlubed! I got lucky on that! I hate the lube tc uses.

Making some lube for them now. Before i just used crisco.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

FG, let me know when you get the bullets in.I would use a over powder wad with them as well. Ron
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Will do Ron.

Going to check the mail in about a half hour. Should be out by then.

I'll be taking the Apex out to my 100 yard range after i get the mail and see how those 240g maxi balls do at that range.

Also have 2 packs of 195g AT powerbelts coming in the mail.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 AM

They came in Ron!

They look great.

Are the 315g minie's sized in .454? I had a heck of a time getting them start but once they did, they went down good.
Im starting off with those for now and then trying the 385g paper patched conicals.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Ok the 385's loaded perfect. 80G pyrodex select and 100 yards it shot a 2" 3 shot group. The powerbelts will do better than that but it was a good start. Shot 9" low.

The 315's shot dead center but 9" high and hit the 2x4 and i couldnt see it at that distance. I'll try those again this evening after i adjust my scope down a few inches. Also shot with Pyro-Select.

Maxi Hunters shot high at 100 yards, 6" and 2" group. I fired one without the wad and it dropped right where i was aiming and almost hit the orange dot.

I have my work cut out with these bullets, but so far it looks like the 'Ol Winchester is shooting what ever it put down the bore.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 PM

Just got back inside from shooting/freezing my (_!_) off.

First 3 shots were with the 315g minie, Good thing i took a small hammer!
They measured 4" group without the wad. With a wad, they would not group at all.

Took 3 shots with the 385g Lyman conical with 80g P-S and a wad. 4" low but dead center and under a 1" 3 shot group @ 100 yards.

This rifle really loved those things and i love them too! They load just like a Powerbelt and are accurate.

Just for fun, i took 3 more shots but didnt use a wad and it was more like a 9" group. This bullet really needs a wad or else it just will not print good.

Idahoron, Thanks for sending these! I really do like this bullet a lot. Can you give me some info on these? I'd like to see if i can buy a mold and start making these my self.

I should be able to get away with wheel weights since the lead doesnt touch the bore while loading.

Quick Reply: Apex And Maxiballs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.