Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shoulder

Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Default Shoulder

I am in a quandry, When I first joined this forum, I told you all that I was getting into ML because I could not shoot my bow as I have a bad shoulder. Now that the snow has melted and the conditions are right for shooting my Gp Ml, I found out the other day that the shoulder will need a complete replacement. I have no cushing between ball and socket.So what do I do, wait until after hunting season in the fall, or get it over with now? the recruperation time is six weeks in a sling, and than lots of physical therapy. Which leads to the question will I be able to shoot and hunt in the fall if I have it done now? The second question is if I don't have it done now It is so sore at times that will I be able to shoot anyway? Have any of you had this procedure done? I rely on your expert advice on Ml questions that I decited to ask you all for an opinion.
Of course the better half has a little say in this too, but she is really letting me make the call. I respect all your opinions. DCH
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shoulder

Sometimes the longer you put off a problem the worse it gets and the recovery time is much longer. Only you can be the judge of how much pain you can tolerate. I had a knee replacement when I could not stand it but long before surrounding muscles were affected so my recovery time was relativly short and did real well. My dad had shoulder surgery on both arms and full recoevery was six months.. That is about what I can do to help> If you have not done so get a second opinion from a good MD that specialized in shoulders. Then ask them how many they have done and what is the outcome. Every thing should be explained to you before you have any procedure.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, I am not a doctor. I am not familiar with your condition.

But IMHO: I would do what is necessary to take care of and repair your body first. You can't hunt or shoot if your body is not in the physical condition for it.

I have a heart murmur-mitral valve prolapse. On occasion my heart will remind me that if I don't take care of it, it won't take care of me. And that will pretty much take care of any future hunting! So I do what is necessary to keep the heart happy.

Again, I am not a doc; but if I were in your shoes, I would get your shoulder taken care of now. The range will be there waiting for you in the fall.

Best of luck with your decision.
~Robert

Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides, think of all the posts you will be able to put up telling us how and when you are able to shoot higher loads...

"...this week my shoulder was able to take a 50grn load..."

Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely get the shoulder fixed. You only have two of those and both are pretty important. There will be lots of hunting seasons - I hope.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

I have to join in with all the others so far.Do your homework on this procedure. Look for a good experienced Doc.Not one who does two shoulders a year,but one who has several of these under his belt. Also look for a less invasive procedure,those tend to heal quicker.
and when all is said and done ,follow the doctors orders on your recovery.make sure you
get enough physical therapy. I had a total hip replacement in 04. Im sure you'll do great!
We will all be pulling for you(read that praying for you). Take care of your body and you'll have many more seasons to hunt.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

You can always shoot a muzzleloader down the road. Nothing is worth your health. In your case get er done... Like mentioned get a good surgeon and make sure they are experienced in your area. Ask them questions like, how long will it be before I can shoot a rifle or pull a bow. But I would not wait around. I'd get it done.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do what's best for you. Just get it done right by a competent surgeon. Anyway, you can always shoot a ML with the opposite shoulder - right?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a good family friend who has been putting off shoulder surgery for 5 or 6 years. Now he can't lift his right arm above mid-chest level and the doctors don't want to operate. Get it done.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the shoulder done, but I'm thinking some enterprising soul could figure a way to use a Lead Sled for target shooting and possibly hunting if they put their minds to it!
Now if you like to fish as much as hunt the casting could be construed as Phys Therapy? Of course swimming is physical therapy and by September you might not need that lead sled and could sell it on this site! Then again you could lay around all summer in pain and miss hunting?? I dunno.............

Quick Reply: Shoulder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.