Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breech Plug Grease >

Breech Plug Grease

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug Grease

Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Breech Plug Grease

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Mcawful ,

I put 13 shots through the Apex today and the plug backed out easily. I think it's going to turn out to be a good product.

Just curious, was that while the gun was still warm? I almost siezed up the breech plug in my new KRB the first time I shot it. I had antisieze on it from my "new outta the box cleaning". After the first 10 shots I dropped the trigger assembly and the breech plug loosened right up. Shot maybe 10-12 more times. Ran a few patches through the barrel to clean out the fowling, drove to my uncles house and visited for 1/2 an hour, then a 1/2 hour drive to home. Immediatly took everything apart to clean and that breech plug was stuck tight. I was lucky enough to be able to break it loose but Icracked my Knight breech plug wrench. Doesn't really matter cause I keep a 12mm socket with a 1/4 inch ratchet for my Wolf breech plug, the Knight is a 7/16 socket so I'll throw that in my range box. I've always removed my breech plugright after shooting but I had a brain fart and didn't do it as soon on my Knight and almost paid dearly for that mistake.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Breech Plug Grease

No the barrel was cold. I went and made lunch, took a break, washed up and refilled my powder flask, reminds me that i am out of all sub powders.

When i installed it lastnight, i snugged it up slightly tighter than i normally do and it had the same amount of pressure after shooting and came right out.

Remember when i had that X-150? I was always getting that darn plug stuck! I wish i would have used this a lot sooner.