Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Patterning the Knight TK 2000 >

Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Gotbuck I ordered 100 more of the good wads and they should be here today.. (along with a lot of other stuff.. ) and so I am not afraid to shoot off the rest of the ones I have in stock. I think I will try your load of 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and then load it the way you said. I will see if it can knock me over. Trouble is, now that it is on the 60's all you need is a light shirt to wear, so you have none of that padding. I think I will wear my light camo jacket just to shoot under the same hunting situations. I was going to shoot yesterday, but company came over again. Some of the things I have to do to keep company happy..
Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I did more pounding today with the Knight TK2000. I was trying some of the things Gotbuck suggested. He was dead on the money and the bird. On average at 40 & 45 yards there is between8 -13 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target. Which is more then enough. The powder of 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the long shot wad packed tight feels real good.

35 yards and under are a give me target as the kill zone on a couple had as many as 20+ pellets in them. I know a bird could not take that kind of a hit... Just as I finished cleaning my shotgun, the UPS man showed up with a package. In it were more shotcup, some jags, a bullet sizer, and a lot of other nice things.. So I still have a little time to play before turkey season.

So as long as I keep my shots under 40 yards I am pretty sure I would have little trouble knocking one over..
Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

On average at 40 & 45 yards there is between8 -13 pellets in the head and neck
Cayugad - that sounds like a 36 inch pattern at 40-45 yds. That is tight enough that you could go to #2's, reducing your hits to 4-6, still plenty,and allowing you to really reach out and touch one, if the smokepole has the energy. I shoot a lot of geese at 40-50 yds using a tight modified choke with smokeless and I'd be hesitant using lead 5's beyond 40. Lead 4's are great to 50. Beyond that, you would need to go to 2's AND a full choke. Of course, I don't know anyone who can put a full choke load of 2's where they'll meet up with a flying goose at that distance with any regularity.

Any idea of the relative energy of that smoothbore to a high brass smokeless shotgun load?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no #2 in the house. I do have some #4 buckshot, but that might not be legal for turkey... I have no idea of the velocity of that load.

#2 birdshot = .15 diameter or 4.86 gr each
#5 birdshot = .12 diameter or 2.57 gr
#4 buck = .24 diameter

So buckshot would be too large.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Dave my season is next wed could you send the gun and some loads for me to use I will be sure to get it back before you need it[:@]
Old 04-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

what are you going to use? I should try a few of these big stiff loads out of my New Englander and see how it groups.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

Those turkeys won't have a chance with your new smokepole. I did use#4 shot, which is legal here, last year to hit a bird at 62 yds lasered. My gun is patterned atthat 40 yd range and I held alittle high at he went down hard. I have practiced at that distance soI have no issues at smaller ones, it wasn't a "spur" of the moment thing. I love mine and I'm thinking about duck shooting later this year, that would be a hoot. Glad you found the mark it is one truly awesome gun.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the article that got me interested in seeing how far the gun can shoot birds. It's about a guy who went with Tony Knight and what he personally has taken birds at. Good read.

http://www.ohiovalleyoutdoors.com/blk_pdr_turkey.htm
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

120 grains of powder!!! WOW!! and I thought 100 grains was plenty. At 45 yards I did notice that the pattern started to drop a little, so maybe you're right. Aim a little over the head and touch off. I just got in another shippment of long shot cups, so I can play some more. Although I am very impressed with this shotgun.. Thanks for all your help Gotbuck..
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

No problem, just returning the favor on all the info you provide here on the forum. Good luck on them birds. I'm heading out Sunday, we'll see.

Quick Reply: Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.