Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Some recovered bullets from my backstop. >

Some recovered bullets from my backstop.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some recovered bullets from my backstop.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some recovered bullets from my backstop.

I'll shoot about anything on the range to play aroundbut thats exactly the reason I choose to use the Barnes Expanders while in the stand regardless of the cost.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

sjsfire

I'll shoot about anything on the range to play aroundbut thats exactly the reason I choose to use the Barnes Expanders while in the stand regardless of the cost.
Normally on most occasions I would totally agree with you - and I actually practice what you are suggesting, but this week while in Sportsmans - I checked the price of a box ofNosler .458/300 grain bullets... $54 for 50... so I thought it might be time for a change to Barnes so I checked their prices... no relief there either... even my other alternative (a poorman's nosler partition).452/300 grain Speer Gold Dots are now $20 for 50... Recreation is getting really expensive - do not even want to mention the price of gas.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have to tell you all I believe that those fancy expensive bullets do not kill anything any deader than an XTP or a Gold Dot. Now for elk moose and griz. or red stag or large African game there might be a point in using them; but for deer, boar and black bear I normally get bang flops with the XTP or lately with the Gold Dots and they are reasonable enough to pratice with,paying over a dollar a shot for normal shooting is like driving a caddy, strickly for show. If you put that bullet in the right place,which is a whole lot more important a good percetage of the time then all you really need to do is use one thats adaquate for the game. Lee
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

sjsfire

Normally on most occasions I would totally agree with you - and I actually practice what you are suggesting, but this week while in Sportsmans - I checked the price of a box ofNosler .458/300 grain bullets... $54 for 50... so I thought it might be time for a change to Barnes so I checked their prices... no relief there either... even my other alternative (a poorman's nosler partition).452/300 grain Speer Gold Dots are now $20 for 50... Recreation is getting really expensive - do not even want to mention the price of gas.

I buy the bulk XTP'sand sabots from Mid South for the range. I know my CVA Wolf loves the Barnes Expanders. I'm interested to see how the Barnes will shoot out of my new KRB7, they may not shoot worth a damn. Suppose to rain here all weekend so my plans to bust the cherry on my new Knightmight have to wait. I'll try both the Barnes and XTP's. I almost picked up some of those Gold Dot's last weekend when I was at Sportsman's Warehouse picking up that KRB. I'll try some of them too.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Well I have to tell you all I believe that those fancy expensive bullets do not kill anything any deader than an XTP or a Gold Dot. Now for elk moose and griz. or red stag or large African game there might be a point in using them; but for deer, boar and black bear I normally get bang flops with the XTP or lately with the Gold Dots and they are reasonable enough to pratice with,paying over a dollar a shot for normal shooting is like driving a caddy, strickly for show. If you put that bullet in the right place,which is a whole lot more important a good percetage of the time then all you really need to do is use one thats adaquate for the game. Lee
Your 100% correct Lee. However if your getting older, and your eyesight and aim is not what it was when you were say 40 or even 50, then having a bullet that "does it all (accuracy, penetration, expansion) gives one a bit more insurance that we will harvest the animal well. I bought 4 boxes of the Gold dots, and every time I order from Midway, I get another one, so I am agreeing with you, but I know that a Barnes or a Nosler will take me thru shoulder blade and I will get the deer if my eyes and aim are not 100% perfect, so I like to use those formy inlines. Flint locks where most of my shots are under 50 no more than 70, I will use the Gold Dot and I use to use an XTP, 300g Mag.
Iyou can afford the Noslersor the Barnesfor huntingthat is a great insurance policy for hitting bone, especially if they are accurate in your gun, which to me is #1 criteria.
Chap
Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

sjsfire

Yep the Barnes and the Noslers are "neck to neck" on cost and performance, and I know they know that and price their bullets accordingly. I agree with you on the .452 300g Gold Dot, they are the best bullet when you consider price and performance---if they are accurate in your rifle.
Chap