Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Swiss and Goex

Old 03-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Swiss and Goex

OK guy's I am really having a tough time finding Swiss or Goex powder, The cowboys are using it up out west and going on the net I have to buy 25-50lbs. Just starting in with my gp I need a small supply to find out what the gun likes. Any Ideas??

Thanks
Arnold[DCH]
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Swiss and Goex

It's very hard to come by down here. I have to search just to find Pyro RS. All these yahoos around here seem to prefer pellets. I bought 4 cans of Pyro RS at Bass Pro because it was all they had. They have plenty of T7 and all kinds of pellets, but I prefer loose powder. Haven't seen Goex down here in a coon's age.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

check some of the smaller Mom & Pop sporting good stores that are out of the way. Once in a while you will find a can or two sitting on a shelf for a reasonable price. Also is there are any gun or shooting clubs in your area check with them. Often times they know of or have access to someone with powder that might be willing to part with a pound or two.

Otherwise you are going to have to drive a great distance, or purchase on line. Some places have only a 5# minimum order like Powder Inc. And they carry Goex and Swiss... its the hazmat fee that hurts the most. So see if there are others in the area that want powder and they can share the expense as well.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 PM

I know how you feel I would like to try some 3F Swiss in my White

But no one has it around here , I think I may Beable to pick up some at Friendship , If I can I may pic up 5 or 6

Just to be on the safe side !
Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Why bother with 5 or 6...You might as well get 25 lbs of it...It will
last you for ever..I will never use Swiss..It is too pricey and NOT
made in AMERICA......GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get Swiss FFFg for $24/lb delivered from Graf's right now - if you buy 5lb.

That's adding $4/lb for the hazmat fee. More or less powder will change that figure of course.

They are OUT of most grades of Goex but have Graf's brand blackpowder.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

You can get Swiss FFFg for $24/lb delivered from Graf's right now - if you buy 5lb.

That's adding $4/lb for the hazmat fee. More or less powder will change that figure of course.

They are OUT of most grades of Goex but have Graf's brand blackpowder.

Who makes th powder for Grafts????????????? We need to know....
Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at Graf's and it says Wano makes it. I figured it up for 5 or 6 pounds and it would only be about $12/lb delivered. I'll might get 3# ffg and 3# fffg from them this summer and give it a try. I have about 4 or 5# of Goex right now, and I need to burn up some of it before I order.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Graf's & Son's powder is made in Germany by the Wano powder company. It is a pretty good powder. I bought a case of it and have been shooting it. It is a little more fowling then Goex, but not bad. Power is real good, and the rifles seem to like it. The 2&3f grades are about the same as you would find with Goex.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've the same problem, guys. I had a can of GOEX FFFg, and a can of FFg when I got my Christmas flintlock. As of 3 p.m. today it's all gone. [] Guess I'll have to break the piggy bank and order ten pounds from Powder Inc. for $149.