Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 is this a stupid idea or a good one >

is this a stupid idea or a good one

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

is this a stupid idea or a good one

Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default is this a stupid idea or a good one

i am looking at the Tc triumph and saw where alot of people say there a bear to load a real tight fit
i also saw where you can take the breech plug out real easy by hand and even unload it that way

why could you not remove the breech plug slide the bullet and pellets down from the breech then add the breech plug slide your rod down the barrel and push it down to make sure it sits all the way down
I understand this would not mean you would not have to use the rod but a few inchs seems alot better then 28 inchs
also would this havce any legal issues since a muzzleloader is made to load form the front of the barrel

is this a good idea or just another dumb one
Old 03-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Default RE: is this a stupid idea or a good one

Sounds like a lot of touble to me , wouldn't you have to add more PB grease to the PB every time ?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM

I'LL tell you what if you want a Awsome Gun Talk to Underclocked he has a Unfierd White M97
I think he is going to sale at a Super Price !
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

No reason it can't be done. But I'd bet if you do it once you'll never do it again.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's been done...The Ferguson rifle, back in the 70s...The 1770s...

It could be done, it would be better if you removed the rifling from the area where the powder and bullet will be and after loading you would still need to make sure that the bullet is seated on the powder...

The better solution is to find the right bullet, sabot combination that loads fairly easily and is accurate...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could be done that way and would be faster with the TC speed breach than a normal screw in but there may be other problems with that technique. For one, the breach end is not designed to load the bullet from that end and thus may damage the bullet as it goes over the sharper edges that the breach seals against. It will also be harder to keep the bullet lined up with the bore and may load at an angle and/or scrape some of the metal off one side or the other. If your using powder instead of pellets you run the risk of getting powder in the breach plug threads. On some guns it would require the removal of the bolt or plunger slowing the reloading further. There are probably other issues that could be included but thats enough for me not to try it.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a lot of trouble to me. If you go ahead and order it worry about it then. You would need to play around with different sabots if you feel it's too hard to load.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start looking at the KRB7 instead. Solves the tight bore problem post haste.

Al
Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree that the idea is not a good one. I also agree that you should consider a different rifle if the loading is a big problem. I finally gave up trying to find something other than a Powerbelt that my Omega would accept so I bought some Whites and a Knight KRB7; I suspect the Omega is going to become a safe queen and probably not get used again.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Not a good Idea!

Quick Reply: is this a stupid idea or a good one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.