Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My homework

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default My homework

My homework. Sorry no pics(dialup o so slow)

Got out and shot the savage ml saturday. Here is what I got.1st 4 groups at 102 yds.fifth group at 206 yds, sixth group at 290 yds(all lasered).

First group(after fouler) 1 1/2" with barnes original/black crush rib

Second group 1 1/4" with barnes original and plain short harvester

Third group 3/4" With barnes original and 3 petal ez load.
want to do it again!!

Fourth group 1 1/4" same combo two touching, one flier[:@]

Fifth group(206 yds)just under 4" same combo

Sixth group at 290 yards same combo a hair under 5", centered about 4" right of bull (slight breeze~5mph)

Nothing spectacular, but I did find sucess with the 3 petal sabot, hadn't tried that one before with this bullet.

What do you think? B+?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My homework

Sounds like the Savage is as great a shooting rifle as everyone claims, and you own one. Nice shooting.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Nothing Spectacular" ????? Well, a 5" group at 290 yards comes pretty close. Nice shooting!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Some(or a couple)of the guys on the savage forum can do 2-3" at 300 if the wind is light! In all fairness mine isn't bone stock, its been bedded and has a third pillar added. I cant say that it shoots that much better(if any)than it did before I had the work done.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a heck of a shootin gun.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks tenmile. I have been trying very hard to make this thing the most accurate long range ML I've ever seen. I'm not really sure why, its kind of an obsession lately. My goal is to get minute of deer out to 350 yds, still got alot of work to do. I have aload with enough energy to kill out past 400 yds, but it takes one hell of a marksman to guess where a 458 caliber bullet is going to end up at that range.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm no prude (well, I don't think I am), but save those 350 yard shots for paper punching. Get closer to those deer.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I'm no prude (well, I don't think I am), but save those 350 yard shots for paper punching. Get closer to those deer.
+2

And load it with black powder so you get the true satisfaction of a front stuffer.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

My homework. Sorry no pics(dialup o so slow)

Got out and shot the savage ml saturday. Here is what I got.1st 4 groups at 102 yds.fifth group at 206 yds, sixth group at 290 yds(all lasered).

First group(after fouler) 1 1/2" with barnes original/black crush rib

Second group 1 1/4" with barnes original and plain short harvester

Third group 3/4" With barnes original and 3 petal ez load.
want to do it again!!

Fourth group 1 1/4" same combo two touching, one flier[:@]

Fifth group(206 yds)just under 4" same combo

Sixth group at 290 yards same combo a hair under 5", centered about 4" right of bull (slight breeze~5mph)

Nothing spectacular, but I did find sucess with the 3 petal sabot, hadn't tried that one before with this bullet.

What do you think? B+?
No, I say A- at least and the only reason I won't go A is that if I did youwould think your done. I have a Savage and am going to try the Barnes origonal also, also he Barnes FB. Have not heard of anyone shooting the 3-petal ez with a Barnes. Is that the 3 petal ez for .452 bullets. Also what powder were you shooting? Did you have any misfires? I have had several with all powders except 5744.

Did you read the post on Savage forum about the TMZ and the Knight blue sabots, I think they are 3 petal ez, but I am not sure. Do you know.

Chap

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Hoss---Tell me what your using for powder in your rifle..

Quick Reply: My homework

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.