Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Start

Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good Start

Thanks Indiana Smokepole, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

Do you have instructions for adjusting the trigger?
I think I do - I'll look - it is a bold trigger and really staight forward..

Here are the directions...

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=72854158534182&mkt=en-US&lang=en-US&w=f029359c&FORM=CVRE

It is a file that is downloaded from Boyd's Stocks.... OOP's that might not be the right one - but they are basically the same - I will look in my file also...

Oh! here is mine - ain't that a thang of beauty...

Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, here are some pictures. I had to retake them with a different camera which is too bad because I had a couple of nice senic shots of Pikes Peak as seen from the range on the other camera.

First is the 3 groups with 80, 90 and 100 grains of Pyro P.

Next is the 110 grain group.

And a picture of my new addition.

Hopefully you can see the labeling I wrote in, I only had a ball point pen so it's kind of tough to see. I don't have a ruler but the targets are about 5" in diameter.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I first glanced at that sideways picture of the gun I thought it was floating the the air over a kitchen counter.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a beautiful rifle... what bullet were you shooting?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about that Semisane, I forgot to rotate the picture before I posted it. Then again, I guess that confirms your wife is correct.

Cayugad, I was shooting the 460 BS .504's which were a bit loose. I think a tigher fit would also tighten the groups but won't know till I try them. I also think more practice with the sights or a peep would help also. The front sight is about as big as the black target at 50 yards. I tried doing a 6 o'clock hold but it shot too low and my adjustment was geting close to the top already. I think I need a lower front sight.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

I found my White Owners Manual - do you still need a copy? Have not touched base with Cdad as of yet, but it looks like we are going over to Kennewick today - so I should be able to catch him if he is in town...
Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
I still need a copy of the manual, thanks. Let me know what you find out from Cdad.

Indiana Smokepole,
The breach plug came in today, thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I think he went with the Lyman 57SMT since it attaches to the side of the Ultra Mag with no drilling. Its already tapped for the peep sight. Some of them were getting marble front sights and Redclub shoots the same set up. He was shooting groups at 200 yards with the open peep sight using his elk load. It was pretty impressive...
Well, I'm finally catching up on this topic, been out of the loop for awhile. Just talked to Sabotloader on the phone.

Yes, I have put the Lyman 57SMT on 3 U-Ms. My brother also put one on his. You will need to change out the front sight also. I can dig out that info if you need it.

I have a White Lightning also and I mounted a scope on it, but I also bought a Williams peepsite for it. The Lyman won't work with the Lightning. I am pretty sure the Williams will also work on the U-M. Not sure which one I like better, they both seem to have their advantages/disadvantages. Maybe get away without changing the front sight if you get the Williams.

Regarding the Bullshops. I think the .5045's will be perfect for you. All 4 U-M's in my family like the .5045's. They don't shoot any better than the .504's, but will definitely give you a better feeling that they will not slide off the load. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

I will make a copy and get it in the mail... PM me your address again...

mike

Quick Reply: Good Start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.