Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Muzzle Loader from CMMT,, wow. >

New Muzzle Loader from CMMT,, wow.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzle Loader from CMMT,, wow.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Default New Muzzle Loader from CMMT,, wow.

Forget that junk about the "ultimate" M/L and all that troll.

You want something cool, this is the one to have!!

Here is the next step in primitive.
An AR 15 with a muzzle loader barrel on it!!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=357193

The video of him putting 3 pellets and a powerbelt down the tube, then shooting it, is interresting.
Put a nightforce 4x16 on that thing and now we're talkin pri-mi-tive!!!

Only problem is somebody needs to tell them that you don't want to use a PB with THREE pellets and not to bang on the rod and crush the pellets.... geeee
Hank
Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Muzzle Loader from CMMT,, wow.

Not very practical. Where are you going to carry the ramrod?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 AM

It's for fun, since when is fun stuff practical?

Hank
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 PM

That gun is a prototype.They're still working on it. Trads aren't going to like it but who cares. I'd love to be able to deer hunt with my AR. If it comes out this fall or early next year I'm gonna get one.

vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWK2idDdm4

blog article: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/01/08/black-powder-ar-15/

Answers to some questions I asked them:

1. What is the barrel length? How much is useable (from the breech plug face to the muzzle)?

2. What is the twist rate?

3. Are the 209-223 cases reprimable? If so what tool is needed? I've never heard of using a 209 with rifle brass.

4. Would a regular 223/556 case with a small rifle or pistol primer fire loose triple seven FFG?

5. Is this conversion smokeless capable?

6. Can someone remove the front sight? I wonder this since it looks like a manually operated upper.

7. Is the carry handle included? I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that allows scoped ML's so the sights aren't needed.

8. What is the price going to be? I would love to be able to deer hunt with my AR.
Patrick,

I will answer what I can, as we do not have anything finalized.

1. The Prototype is a 26" 4150 Cromoly Vanadium steel barrel, Barrel
length on a production model is up in the air, we might have a few
options.
2. Have not decided yet.
3. Those cases where used for proof of concept and are working on a
safer/proprietary case.
4. We are hoping to make them reprimeable with a standard single stage
press.
5. I believe so.
6. Yes, but we are planning on using it to retain the ramrod.
7. Probably.
8. No clue yet, we are working on it as fast as possible.

Thank You,
Garson
--
CMMG, Inc
PO Box 369
Fayette, MO 65248
(660)248-2293
(660)248-2290 (FAX)
Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Pretty dumb IMO.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 PM

I like this one, It makes me feel so comfortable with their professional answers and knowledge of their product:

Question,
5. Is this conversion smokeless capable?

Answer,
5. I believe so.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM

Ithink that's the answer to number 4.

4. Would a regular 223/556 case with a small rifle or pistol primer fire loose triple seven FFG?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Gander,
I have to agree with you. Only posted it here for fun. Is it interresting, sure. But, for me, that is about the extent of it. I have a varmint AR15 and an AR10 in 308 and really like them. But I am not interrested in crossing the lines here.

If you did get one, you would probably pretty unique in your area though. I would love to see the eyes of the first game warden you ran across.

Hank
Old 02-08-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: ahankster

Gander,
I have to agree with you. Only posted it here for fun. Is it interresting, sure. But, for me, that is about the extent of it. I have a varmint AR15 and an AR10 in 308 and really like them. But I am not interrested in crossing the lines here.

If you did get one, you would probably pretty unique in your area though. I would love to see the eyes of the first game warden you ran across.

Hank
I live in a state that doesn't allow rifles for deer so to use my AR for deer hunting I have to leave the state or convert it to something I can use. I see it as a way to spend more time with my favorite gun.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Wolf,
I would see your point in that case.

Of course, I currently live in Ms where you can take them just about any way you can think of. AP mines will be on the agenda next year. You can shoot em, stab em, shotgun, buckshot, slugs, rifle, muzzy, bow, crossbow, 300 winmag, 338 lapua mag, there is no end. Ooops, can't shoot em w/ a 22 or with a spotlight. I either use my Encore on the preserve I hunt or choose between a 300 WM or 308 at the club, depending on where I'll be and what the shots look like. Heck, next year I think I am going to get my AR10 in 308 after one next year just to try it.

Seriously, deer hunting here is getting out of hand. We have so many that everyone I know gets their limit of 6 or 8 (two additional w/ a bow) and most clubs have unlimited doe management tags. And, with a season that goes from the first of October (start of bow) through the end of Jan. You can imagine how many deer we get. Also, they changed the muzzle loader law here last year to a "primitive" law which includes all single shot rifles of 38 caliber or larger if the gun was designed before 1900. So, most guys have dumped their 50 and 45 muzzies and have bought handirifles or buffalo guns in 38-55, 45-70, 45 colt etc. Most people don't even muzzy hunt here anymore unless they are on a preserve or place that still requires it.
Hank

Quick Reply: New Muzzle Loader from CMMT,, wow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.