Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C White Mountain Carbine >

T/C White Mountain Carbine

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C White Mountain Carbine

Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default T/C White Mountain Carbine

Wondering if any of you guys had a T/C White Mountian Carbine and if so can you tell me what the rate of twist is. I have searched online for awhile and could not locate any specs. Also, what powder/load combination works best out of yours.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C White Mountain Carbine

I think the rate of twist is 1-20. Here is a handy reference site..

http://www.thebuckskinner.com/barrel_chart.html
Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

My daughter shoots 70grs goexffg out of hers with a275gr maxi-hunter. drives tacks at 70 yds. I am looking at a used one also, just because! the bore on hers is immaculate, the other one is pretty sad, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a new bbl for it?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM

they made two i know of,1 in 20and 1 in 28 . mine will shoot any sabot bullet very well. i started shooting 451. 200gr xtp hollowpoints but went up to the 230gr. and for close range hog shooting i use a speer 451. 300gr plated soft point. i used 90 grs of powder. for the 230gr, 75 for the 200gr and 100 grs for the 300 gr bullet. the 200gr bullets work fine with a perfect side shot and do massive damage but if you hit a leg bone they may explode on impact or on a front on chest shot. i would stay away from the 200 and go with at least a 230 gr or bigger. the ten point i got the other day was shot with a wmc and a 230 gr xtp, it made a clean pass through leaving a quarter size exit hole and scrambled lungs and heart. the bullet will come apart sometime blowing the copper petals through the chest and the lead core will pass on through.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM

My favorite gun, bar none..They made 2 in percuission, the early ones are 1:20 and the later 1:38. I bought mine the first year of production and it's 1:20, almost usless with roundballs, only so-so with conicals-heavier are better but the recoil in the light gun is heavy. It shoots sabots very well with charges around 80 grs., mine likes those pinkbreak-o-way with 240gr. bullets.(If anyone has some of those pink sabots laying around, I'll buy them). The 1:38 guns do OK with sabots, sort of Ok with balls but real good with conicals. TC switched the twist because at the time sabots were fairly new and many people still wanted to use conicals. I've heard they made some flinters in 1:60 but have not seen one myself.

Real nice gun to carry, especially if you are a walker. I recall that a couple years ago Foxridge was making something similar..

Doug
Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I was wondering is the WM barrel a round barrel if so why can't you fit a new englander barrel to the gun they are 1 in 48 and will shoot RB's
I know of one f/s I seen on another forum
Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Mine is a flintlock. I shoot roundballs, but I really can't get good accuracy out past 50yds. I guess the rate of twist is too fast (1/20). I'm going to have to get some diff powders and loads and get out and shoot.
One last ?.... Because the barrel is so short, do you guys think I should try shooting 2 or 3 F goex.I currently shoot 4 F.
Thanks again
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

1 in 20 will never shoot RB's have you ever tried ball-lets which are 1/2 RB 1/2 CONICAL
I would not use 4F as a main charge
My choice would be 3F goex
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Check Green Mountain Barrel Company.. I think they have a drop in barrel for that White Mountain Carbine.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Spike

I had one of the later models they made which was 1:38 twist and shot the breakaway sabots with 80 - 85 gr of powder real well also. I was wanting a longer barrel for it but Green Mtn only made a drop in for it in 1:28 twist for sabots and it still was only 21" long.
The WMC barrel is 1/2 octagon and 1/2 round so a New Englander barrel won't fit it and the stock is too short for a Hawken barrel to fit it (the barrel keys are in different places). I had asked T/C if I could get a longer barrel for it and they told me while they didn't make one for the WMC the barrel for the PA Hunter which is 1:66 twist will fit it. Fox Ridge sells the PA Hunter barrels in 31" and 21". Fox Ridge also sells the Fox Ridge Carbine which is about the same gun as the WMC but it has a 1:48 twist and a 21" barrel (too bad it doesn't have a 24" barrel or I'd have to get one). Might want to give Fox Ridge a call and see if they still have them. They were advertising the PA Hunter barrels in 1:66 twist without the QLA so I would ask about that.

Quick Reply: T/C White Mountain Carbine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.