Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hold-over or gradiated reticles? >

Hold-over or gradiated reticles?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hold-over or gradiated reticles?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Hold-over or gradiated reticles?

I just use holdover. A long shot, say 200yds, hold on the spine, a bit longer, hold a little over the spine. Not a problem once you learn your trajectory and know the range.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Has onyone heard of or tried the Leatherwood 3x9 scope that toby bridges talked Hi-Lux optics into making just for muzzleloaders? It has cross-hairs instead of the dots like the Nikon Omega. Supposed to be calibrated for a 250 gr. bullet with 100 gr. of triple Seven.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eatsleephunt

I've never used a tactical scope that required adjustment prior to the shot. Other than side paralax/focus adjustment.

I'm asking if an adjustment under hunting conditions (after determining range), has a significant effect on the time or lack thereof you have to make the actual kill shot. Do you hunt a little differently because of this, stand hunting...? Etc. Or maybe a better question is, do you find yourself not using certain hunting methods because it may take more time to adjust your equip?

I've always stayed away from one pin adjustable archery sites for the same reason, they take too long to calibrate at close range. But, maybe a turret adjustment on a scope is different? Maybe more like the reflex of sticking a piece of brass in your shirt pocket for reloading purposes rather than letting it hit he ground as you cycle for a second shot? Sometimes I do that sometimes not, depends on the situation.
If you're shooting far enough to need to dial up the scope, the deer had better be calm and time not a huge issue anyways. While I have a drop chart taped to my stock, this year I shot 4 deer in 20 minutes, three of which required me to dial up, and I never looked at that chart. I knew my ballistics by memory due to all of my range time. It took me longer to deploy the bipod and get into position than to quickly spin the turret to the appropriate setting. Remember that tactical scopes have visible MOA markings -- no need to count clicks, just dial up to the right mark quickly.

I would say it is slower overall, but not by a lot. I was always concerned about getting my hold correct with just mil dots and probably spent as much time second-guessing my hold as I do now dialing up. You need the range time to back this up, however.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

As stated in one of the previous posts you can check the charts yourself. These are pretty close but like the one prev. post says you have to do the range testing yourself. As for the models of Burris scopes, I have 3 Fullfield II scopes, (2 matte 1 satin silver) 3-9X40mm and one matte short mag 3-9X32mm. I like them and they are good scopes. I did have a broken reticle on the short mag scope and sent it back to Burris and had it repaired and returned in 3 weeks. Excellent cust. svc. If I had an inline ML and decided to install a scope on it I would also take a look at the Nikon with the circles in lieu of the dots. From what I understand they are calibrated out to 250 yds with 150 gr charge and 240 gr sabot.