Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ballistic coefficient vs accuracy >

Ballistic coefficient vs accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ballistic coefficient vs accuracy

Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Ballistic coefficient vs accuracy

I have several questions for you guys here. I am a first yearmuzzleloader hunter, hooked for life.
I hunted this year with a.430 240gr xtp over 90gr T7 ffg, green crush rib sabot, T/C Omega.BC of .205.Holes literallytouching at 50 yards. 2 dead deer.
The second load that I played with but did not hunt with was a .452 300gr xtp over 90gr T7 ffg, mmp 3 petal e-z, BC of .180. Same results on paper.
Went to the range today with a box of Speer Gold Dot, .452 300gr over 90gr T7 ffg. BC of .233. I did not play with the powder grain weight, (volume.) Took along some 3 petal e-z, hph24 and black crush rib sabots. As you can see, I would like to develop a load for this bullet. The HPH24 shot the most accurate, but not as accurate as the 300gr xtp. We are talking maybe an inch difference at 50 yards. The Got Dot was definately hunting accurate.
Two questions.
Why would a bullet with a lower BC shoot a littlemore consistently than one with a higher BC?
Have any of you guys used a bullet to hunt withthat was a little less accurate, (talking an inch), but is arguably a better bullet?
I realize playing with the powder chargecould make a difference. Just wanted to keep everything as consistent as possible.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic coefficient vs accuracy

I'll take the most accurate as long as it's reasonable with performance. This year I used the 300 gr XTP because it was easily the winner on accuracy over my old favorite the 300 gr Barnes Expander MZ.
One shot. One bullet right where I wanted to put it, and one deer dead in it's tracks! I've heard some stories of the XTP fragmenting, and I'm not disputing them, but if you put it through skin, muscle, and small bones, then into the heart/lung area it will do the job! The ability to put it where you want it is more important to me!
A heart/lung shot with about any .50 bullet will put meat in the freezer, but a miss or worse (a non-vital area hit) too often ends in frustration.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skopia

I have found that you need to drive the Gold Dots a little harder than the XTP's - I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f and will get the 1" to 1.25" groups with them @ 100...

BC really does not detirmine accuracy just bullet flight characteristics and at ML velocities and distances - BC is no where near as important as in a CF gun.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are just getting started...Look at this as handloading, today you found out that the Gold Dot had "potential"...Further range sessions, changing powder charges, even brands and sabots will show you how much accuracy you can squeeze out of it in your gun...They will all do the job...

Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Spike

Thank you. All the answers make sense to me. I am a very patient hunter when it comes to shot selection. That stems from my grooming as a bow hunter. I do not just "let the lead fly." Placing a bullet where it is supposed to be placed is very important to me. I am verypleased with my XTP's.That being said, I do realize in the hunting worldthere can be situationsthatare not ideal.My next range session is going to consist of experimentation with powder charges. Hey, we all like to play I guess.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

The difference of the higher bc will not even show up till you get out to 175-200 yds. In my savage a 300xtp(bc .180)will shoot at 3/4" at 100 yds with decent conditions, same as the more expensive bullets(bc .290)I use for 300 yd shooting. So unless you really want to push it, the bc is a non factor for 95% of ML hunters.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far as my muzzleloaders are concerned, I don't really care at all about BC - in fact I think it is mostly irrelevant.But trying to turn a muzzleloader into a .243 has never been a goal for me.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Absolutely totally agree - but do not let that information out what would Hornady and all these other companies do if they could not sell you those sleek line - pointy - plastic tipped bullets....

We are such suckers for advertising....

Oh! buy the way I was there at one time but i did find my way back....
Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Different bering surface perhaps. I don't like blaming group size on BC...a different rifle might have had opposite results.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Skopia

Just call Dan at Bull shop and order you some of the 443gr U C Shorts get some over the powder wads 85gr of 777 and you won't have to worry about any thing from know on , super accurate and not much out there to stop them.

Ron

Quick Reply: Ballistic coefficient vs accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.