Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf Help???

Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CVA Wolf Help???

The ramrod for my Wolf is already scratched to the point where there's hardly any black paint left on it. Overall, I'm glad I bought the gun and enjoy shooting it. The recoil pad on the butt is absolutely fantastic, almost makes me want to buy a Limbsaver pad for my 12ga shotgun.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've had my cva wolf for two seasons and have shot quite a few rounds through it. I'll tell ya what I can. My hunting load is 90 grains of American Pioneer with a 240 grain tc cheap shot. Worked it up with the help of some of the guys in here just before last season. Never seen deer drop so fast. I have tried a variety of magnum load through mine but found that because the gun is so light they often decrease your accuracy unless you have a really stable rest. Pyrodex RS loose or pellets also work really well and my stepbrother has always used powerbelts in his. He's had some luck. The best idea is to just experiment with different loads. As far as cleaning, Clean it after each time you shoot it and do a total cleaning after season when getting ready to store it. Ask the guys in the forum for help.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Spike

What should I expect as far as recoil goes. I've heard all muzzleloader kick like a mule. Anything it would be comparable to? 12 slug perhaps?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally I do not feel muzzleloaders kick. They push back but I find shotguns with strong loads much more recoil intense then muzzleloaders. The thing to remember is since they do push, they are prone to scope eye. I am always careful about any optics I place on them. I want good eye relief and well mounted.

Granted, if you load 150 grains of powder and shoot a big projectile, it is going to kick. But most standard loads I would compare to a shotgun.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM

heavy powder charges, heavy bullets make the rifles kick hard.

For example, a 295 grain powerbelt driven by 80-100 grains pyrodex doesnt have much recoil at all.

The recoil pad depends on the felt recoil. Supposedly the cva crushzone i think its called, has been compaired to the limbsaver recoil pad.Heard that there is little difference.
The cva recoil pad runs around $13 while the limbsaver pushes close to $40.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

The recoil pad on the Wolf is great. I was surprised myself because I was expecting a much harder recoil from the gun.When using 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and a 245 Powerbelt I could shoot all day, but I'm probably going to use only 80gr next season. Given the choice between this setup and shooting a turkey load out of my 12ga I take the Wolf any day!