Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullets

Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Default bullets

looks like most had a good season this year and for some it an't over yet. and from what we been reading some had some trying moments. i always like reading the post reguardless of subject matter or whatever. well the most common thing besides guns seems to be bullet type and i can tell you i'm glad i an't a deer. deer are a easy kill most of the time you just put a chunk of lead through their heart/lung/spine/head/big blood vein ect. the trick is to find a chunck of lead/copper that your gun can put in the same place every time and to do this you must make your firearm do this. once you master the shot its up to the shot itself thats where the bullet comes into play, and i can say for 100% sure that it don't make a hill of beans what bullet you use they all work. a hollow point that explodes inside a deer means a dead deer if in the vitals, a soild bullet that goes through the good stuff means death. there is no #1 bullet there is no #1 load thats the beauty of ml it all works just learn where your gun shoots the bullet and learn to put that bead on the target.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bullets

little-d

I only find one problem with your thoughts...

a hollow point that explodes inside a deer means a dead deer if in the vitals
I can not imagine shooting a big game animal with a bullet any bullet that explodes in the animal. I shoot and have shot a lot of deer with HP bullets - they do not and they had better not "blow-up" I use Noslers or Speer Gold Dots (bonded) to insure that there is no "blow-up" and I am positive the Barnes shooters will tell you the same thing. The purpose of the HP is to start expansion sooner over a wider range of velocities.

On the other hand varmint bullets are somewhat designed to blow-up at the velocities they are being shot. Hornady's "V Max" even though it not a hollow point is designed to "blow-up"
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

little-d

I only find one problem with your thoughts...

a hollow point that explodes inside a deer means a dead deer if in the vitals
I can not imagine shooting a big game animal with a bullet any bullet that explodes in the animal. I shoot and have shot a lot of deer with HP bullets - they do not and they had better not "blow-up" I use Noslers or Speer Gold Dots (bonded) to insure that there is no "blow-up" and I am positive the Barnes shooters will tell you the same thing. The purpose of the HP is to start expansion sooner over a wider range of velocities.

On the other hand varmint bullets are somewhat designed to blow-up at the velocities they are being shot. Hornady's "V Max" even though it not a hollow point is designed to "blow-up"
I will Agree 100% SL

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 AM

He was talking 'bout Powerbelts
Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

rem 700

yabut, y wood any1 shoot PB's? utter dan ease a loaden
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM

Thats why you use a Powerbelt

Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM

I heard about someone killing a deer with PB's I just wasn't sure who it was. (Joking) The super stores stock and sell a lot of PB around here. That's about all they carry.My son used them one year while we were in Ohio and at 70 yds the bullet didn't do a good job. We found the deer with the in and out hole about the same size. We now use either the 260 Nosler or the Knight/Barnes poly tipped bullet. They have done really good at both close and distant shots. I guess it all boils down to what you have confidence in.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldwun

At one time I did do some shooting with Power Belts, i was impressed with their accuracy and when I was first starting the ease of loading. But it really did not take me long to figer out the that they were really noting more than an elongated round ball, maybe a better definition would be ashaped round ball with a gas check. At one time I figured if I were forced to shoot a conical then the PB would be the bullet. And do not get me wrong because I know PRB's have taking game for a very long time, but then again there must be a reason that even to old timers were searching for a better projectile.

Next thing that entered into my equations was the older timers saying "make a bigger hole" - with a pure lead bullet, like a PB even the plated PB's, I think this is a real key when shooting pure lead. When I first read that Doc White shot 620 grain conicals- I shuttered - but when you get right down to it - to make up for some of the deficiencies shooting pure lead you realy do need to increase weight to hold it together. The other way to make up for this is to slow the projectile down, which as FG has instructed will work - but for the life of me I can not figure out why you would want to increase the time in flight... All you are accomplishing there is allowing the external forces more time to effect the flight of the bullet... X-winds are really bad on slow moving projectiles from a ML... heavier projectiles are less effected - but velocity is still the best way to overide these exteranal forces and of course velocity certainly adds to the delievered energy. From there you move to performance in the animal. the heavier concical is going to provide more penetration and substantiually raise the knock down power of the projectile.

This is only my opinion - but PB's fall short in each of these areas and as long as there is a better widget out there that will be what I prefer to use. And I can not argue the success that some have had it is a matter of confidence and for me PB's would be way down there. Heck! I think Noslers are the best but I can change Ted's opinion that Barnes are the best - so it really is each to his own thing. But for me when you are hunting one animal per year and you are limiting yourself to one shot per animal - I am going to shoot the what I think is best for me and it ain't gonna be a power belt.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

what about PB Aerotips? kind of a conicle/ sabot blend it seems. Any of youML veterans have any experience with this bullet? good, bad, or indifferent results?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM

look at the pic above in this post. That was with a 225 grain powerbelt aerotip with 80 grains ffg triple 7.

Quick Reply: bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.