Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullets

Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bullets

Thanks FG. I have not devoured all of your PB posts and discussions, but I am aware that many dislike those bullets and that you have worked up a pretty good load/ system using them. However, aren't most of the probs associated with PB's related to hollow points and not aerotips?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 PM

No. 99% of the problems are with high powder charges at close ranges. Some think they need magnum loads to shoot deer 50 yards away.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

saltflyz

This again is just my opinion, but I beleive that the Areotip further complecates some of the PB problems. The Areotip design is an attempt by Power Belt to meet public demand and perception. The public is always looking for a bullet that will match with their "magnum" rifle - it needs to look fast sleek and have a high BC. The Areotip certainly fills the looks and BCbill.

I am a freak - I want to shoot ML's, I have pretty much given up my centerfires, but I do wantvelocity and performance. With those thoughts in mind I really should be looking for a sleek pointy bullet to get the BC up.But in all the shooting I do and have done - I have a lot more faith in a standard low class looking bullet. I even shoot 45 cal bulllets vs the higher BC 44 cal bullets.

Why? I hope you are asking, because Ihave made these decisions.
1. I am shooting a ML not a modern CF
2. I know my max range is in the 200 yard range
3. I do not shoot 150 grain loads...
4. I am looking for bullet performance from 25 yards to 200 yards - from highest velocity to lowest velocity that I might shoot.
5. Bullet BC's in this short range and given velocities are not as important as aCenterFire.

If I were going to use Power Belts - I would probably use the HP's vs the Areo Tips. There have been problems reported using the Areo Tip at close ranges and high velocity. Not the typical blow-up of Power Belts but the bullet actually shooting all the way through without exspansion. The next thing would be to reduce velocities as FG has suggested - I am confident this will enhance the performance of the bullet.Which defeats my goal of velocity...

If you are going to shoot a conical or you are required to shoot a conical then there are some really good conicals out there to be had. These better conicals can be made for your bore, fit your bore correctly. These conicals beat the heck out of the bulk conicals on the market that are built to fit all barrels. I think one of the bigger mis-conceptions is that it is OK to shoot light lead conicals at big game. It would be my suggestion that you go the opposit direction go heavier - less likely to "blow-up" on contact. When I am required to shoot conicals I do shoot a 460 grain conicals and they are extremly effective.

If you choose Power Belts for ease of loading - then that is probaly the best choice you can make...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saltflyz

However, aren't most of the probs associated with PB's related to hollow points and not aerotips?
I think the problem is that you pay $85 for a pack of bullets that you can't push with more than 20g of powder or they either don't expand at all or they explode. Seems like there's a fine line you have to hit to make them work.

With most other conicals, you can shoot them over a large range of powder to tailor them to what you need in any given situation and get great performace. I think most people have the feeling like is it really worth the trouble?

My $0.02
Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM

$10.?? for a pack of 15-20 is a good deal.

As for FPS, i dont give a crap how fast the bullet is going, they didnt have all this fancy stuff 100 years ago, didnt have a large assortment of bullets,powder that we have these days. The hunter knowing his limits is what is most important. Ive stopped myself from pulling the trigger on a # of animals due to the wind. Hell, thats what we practice when we're out on the range and the wind kicks up, dont we?

The typical hunter wants a bullet that puts game down fast and does its job. The Powerbelt has done the best for me and you all know how picky i am.

150 yards is max for me with the steel blade sights and to be quite honest, that might be a little to far due to the fact that ive never shouldered this rifle and held the sights on an animal that far. Was only able to do the longer shots with the old Winchester.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

As for FPS, i dont give a crap how fast the bullet is going, they didnt have all this fancy stuff 100 years ago, didnt have a large assortment of bullets,powder that we have these days.
You do know that FPS will detirmine energy, trajectory, and the course of the bullet do you not????

Ive stopped myself from pulling the trigger on a # of animals due to the wind.
And I really try to avoid this situation as much as possible - but i will be prepared.

Hell, thats what we practice when we're out on the range and the wind kicks up, dont we?
I am not sure what you are saying here but if you are implying you quit shooting when the wind comes up.. I would say NO I don't - I continue to shoot to improve my skills in that situation... especially when I am just shooting paper.

The old timers you seem to refer to didn't stop either they learned how to shoot in all conditions by reading the conditions and believe me they knew their velocities maybe not by the numbers we use today - more from dead-reckoning and practice. If they could improve their velocity they would - one of the reasonsthey used such long barrels... increased burning efficiency of the BP=better velocity.

One other thing hunting today is nothing like hunting then... we have removed so much habitat and reduced populations so drastically. It will never be the same.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM

this is getting pathetic. seriously and you know it is. Like you said, Know your limits and 150 yards is my limit with 80 grains pyrodex p and that 225 powerbelt I believe you helped me out with a chart and i forget how much energy that powerbelt was carrying at 150 yards.

Now i suppose i will go out later on and learn how to tell how fast the wind is blowing rather than just waiting for it to settle down, so i can squeeze the shot and hope i judged right. Shooting in high wind is like shooting at an animal while its at full run. Better to just let it settle down.

Less game means harder hunting, spookier animals doesnt it?