Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 damn this weather, I need to get to the range >

damn this weather, I need to get to the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

damn this weather, I need to get to the range

Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default damn this weather, I need to get to the range

I was going to start working on my load for next season but the weather has been pritty chitty. one day it would be clear and not doing nothing but the wind would be gusting. OR it would be raining and/or snowing. Hell I was going to do nothing but 100 yrds this time. with a 3 to 5 shot at 50 to check my scope.

I guess if it keeps up I just set down and work on my savage 30-06. it needs as much TLC as my USAK. [8D]

btw: 2 weeks smokefree
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: damn this weather, I need to get to the range

Congrats on the 2 weeks!
Sucks not to be able to shoot, doesn't it?
The range I go to here....
http://www.shoalriver.com/
has decided to take the friggin week off I think. Didn't get out there on Sunday as i had hoped, mon, tues and wed so far they have been closed.
I waited there for them to open yesterday for durn near an hour. Finally some dude shows up and says, "Oh, we're closed today".
There was probably 6-7 of us waiting and they were some unhappy gents.
Going to try again today.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM

The National Forest Service last year built us a new range in the Cherokee
National Forest. It has an all concrete pad built at a 90 degree angle. The pistol guys have 10 stations with the max range of 30 yds. The whole facility is under a huge roof. Long guns have a 50 and a 100 yd range with 8 permanent shooting benches with adjustable seats. There is also a bench behind the stations to sit if you want. It has a clean modern bathroom. Plenty of parking. If you have a Golden Age Park Pass it is free. If not the cost is $3. It is about 6 or 7 miles into the Forest. I love the place. Shooters (Most ) are keeping the place clean. We are blessed !!!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

I was going to start working on my load for next season but the weather has been pritty chitty. one day it would be clear and not doing nothing but the wind would be gusting. OR it would be raining and/or snowing. Hell I was going to do nothing but 100 yrds this time. with a 3 to 5 shot at 50 to check my scope.

I guess if it keeps up I just set down and work on my savage 30-06. it needs as much TLC as my USAK. [8D]

Congratulations on week two of smoke free. You're past the hard part. Now it is all mental work. Your brain will give you all kinds of reasons to smoke. Just ignore them and talk your self around them.

It was -26º below this morning but has warmed up. It's only -7 below (10:30 am) now. Maybe if it warms up I can get a little range time in today. It will not be long, but at least I can shoot... Hang in there with your rifles. Sometimes weather can really play tricks on you. All you can do is wait it out.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going on 11 yrs smoke free, but it took three heart attacks and open heart surgery to get my attention. Hang in there.

I don't know if I would call those sewer pipes animprovement,but if that is all ya got then whatever. Why areyou having towait andthenfind outthe place is closed??? At my club we have to have rangeofficers to runthe outdoor ranges, but we have a pretty good handle on it. I think you guys may neeed someone that can take control of your situation and let the members get range time.

Why the pipes? Did you have an incident?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: corey012778

Congratulations on week two of smoke free. You're past the hard part. Now it is all mental work. Your brain will give you all kinds of reasons to smoke. Just ignore them and talk your self around them.

It was -26º below this morning but has warmed up. It's only -7 below (10:30 am) now. Maybe if it warms up I can get a little range time in today. It will not be long, but at least I can shoot... Hang in there with your rifles. Sometimes weather can really play tricks on you. All you can do is wait it out.

Thanks Dave, you just warmed me up! I have been staring out the office window at beautiful sun shine but 9 degree temps andwind chill of -13. This is chilly for us Indiana boys. As usual, we should be back in the 40s by the weekend. Perfect for slinging slugs.

By the way Corey, congrats on the two week mark and hang in there. Don't kick the dog....its not his fault.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys. I am hoping to get out monday. my wife is off saturday as am I, so it is going to be some QT with her.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Was 28 below here this morning. dont want to even look outside let alone be out there.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rafsob

Why the pipes? Did you have an incident?
Yeah, some idjits complaining about their houses gettin hit, which , I believe would only happen if you tilted a rifle or pistol up and fired.
May have happened accidentally, or not at all, who knows.
They have 75 acres of hardwood forest behind the range, sooooo.....

Oh, and it doesn't matter if you are a member or not, the staff makes the rules and that's that!
They are getting ready to get some stiff competition by some folks about 20 miles down Highway 90. Better range and set up, with a one day closed (monday) guarantee. rain or shine.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

just check the weather for monday. 48 and sunny (for now). I guess I start figure out what I am going to shoot. watch it be windy.

Quick Reply: damn this weather, I need to get to the range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.