Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peeps

Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Peeps

Who uses peep or aperature sights on their muzzleloaders. Let's see some pic's and your opinions on peep sights.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Peeps

I don't have any pictures right now but the best group I have ever shot with a front stuffer was with my Lyman GPH using a 57GPR peep and a 17 front sight. It was a 3 shot group at 75 yards that measured .28". I need to get that rifle out and do some more shooting with it. I've been traveling so much lately I've only been shooting once since early December, I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I have two rifles with peep sights. One rifle has a T/C Hunters Tang Peep and the other has a Williams Barrel Mount Peep. Both of them produce very accurate results. When the lighting is good, I do not think there is a better iron type sight that can shoot as accurate as a peep. The trouble I found with peeps are late afternoon in the thickets. All to often I had to pass on shots during those critical last 20 minutes of the hunting day, because the shadows were too dark, and I could not make a reasonable sight picture through the peep on the animal. I am sure you know what I am talking about although I do not describe it well. Although I always refuse to remove the inside aperture to make a ghost ring. I never practiced with the ghost ring so I would not hunt with it.

One afternoon with peeps, I was shooting paper plates at close too (no range finder at that time and I discovered how terrible I was at judging distances)125 yard with little problem, shooting REAL conicals. I was more then pleased with the accuracy. Simply because it indicated to me that when all things were right, a shot at that distance would not have been impossible.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now I have the 12 ga barrel on the stock with the T/C peep. When using the 12 ga barrel with a big f/o bead I take the aperture out and use it as a "ghost ring".
I also have the 209 conversion nipple on that barrel right now as I plan to use T-7 this spring.
I'm ready for turkeys when season rolls around.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

All my inlines have peeps, Williams WGRS or FP and some have Lyman 57SME, no apeture cause I like the ghost ring.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

hate peeps. i had the same one on my new englander. they dont do much good for me on cloudy days or hunting till dusk.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have much choice, have trouble seeing regular open sights and my state does not allow scopes.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have peep sights on over a dozen different rifles. I do not like the Ghost Ring, but I do use a twilight peep. The peep sight if used properly is definitely the best sighting system. Why do you think the military uses it?? Buy one and learn how to use it. You will throw the fiber optic stuff away. Tom.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Fork Horn

HEAD0001,

Do you have any problem keeping the peep zeroed after the barrel is removed for cleaning? Is that the Lyman or TC model on that rifle?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use the "Twilight" peep on my williams peep. It has an appeture of 0.125 and gives me good visibility in low light. In really low light, I do reserve the option of removing the peep and using the ghost ring. If you haven't tried it, you should. I can't tell much difference in my accuracy between the smaller appeture and the ghost ring out to 100 yards. You just naturally center the thing no matter how big the hole.

Quick Reply: Peeps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.