Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Englander arrived this morning >

New Englander arrived this morning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Englander arrived this morning

Old 01-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Englander arrived this morning

I was going to say... if they warranty that neglected barrel, then your a lucky person. Their warranty is pretty clear that it is to the original purchaser of the rifle and they do not cover warranty on alterations, or neglected or abused rifles. If the prior owner abused the barrel by not cleaning it, I would think Thompson Center would be in their legal rights to refuse any warranty work on the rifle. Although they have been great in the past with small odds and ends to me, I have never asked them to warranty an abused barrel like what you're describing.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I would wait and see what T/C does. Yes their warranty does state original purchaser.

However, over the years I have sent them usedstocks, locks, barrels, sights, trigger assemblies for repair and they have always warrantied everything. Most of the time they simply ship me a new replacement. Although I have never sent them anything that was obviously neglected.

That may be or have changed?

Although they are warranty removing abroken stuckbrush in one of my 45 barrels (used)this week in fact.

If for some reason they don't replace the barrel for free, then perhaps they will offer a replacement or you could search for a used barrel or another NE with a decent barrel?

I would not fool with trying to have a .56 bored out.

M2C,

Tahquamenon
Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 PM

$140 for a replacement barrel with crappy qla, $175 for 12g shotgun barrel. Depending on how much it runs, a .56cal rebore seems the most likely if TC doesnt cover the barrel.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

Try calling Green Mountain - they have some unadvertised specials going on right now that are really decent... I just replaced my ptted 54 with a new GM-LRH 50 cal barrel - it was $150 shipped here... might also check TOW they often have some really decent prices...
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM

After an hour of using brasso and steelwool, im finally able to make out some rifling. What a shame. The rifling towards the bottom, the last 15-16" looks good with very little pitting. Makes me wonder how the heck just the first section of barrel could get like this.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

What a waste of a good gun - somebody just let it rust itself to death

You know just had another thought... If TC were to replace that barrel - I wonder if it would have a QLA on a New Englander barrel... You quoted $140 in one of your earlier posts... that actually is not a bad price for a barrel and if the stock is good you might be able to justify that expense to end up with a quality older TC... just thinking
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like your idea of a .56 smoothbore. Might just be a useful barrel if it were re-bored.
If you locate anyone who can do the re-boring let us know!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

well if they wont repair it i'll see about getting it bored to .56cal smoothbore.

Anyone know who does reboring jobs?
I just bought a Green Mountain FL barrel for $95 + $12 shipping. Have not got it yet, but Cayugad bought one so I called and got one. 1:28 for sabot shooting in a FL. Call and talk to Kerry, nice people. Chap Gleason
Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Sabotloader, Other than the rusted bore, the rifle is in perfect shape. Not even a scratch or ding on the stock! Has a nice metal buttplate. The sights are excellent too. I hate the ugly big trigger guard, can i swap this out with a hawken guard?

I like the idea too of a .56cal smoothie, I noticed they had a .56smoothie renegade. I figured i could shoot 50-75 yards with PRB and then load up with shot for rabbits and grouse.

Chap, this has a round barrel on it, Is your new barrel round too? I guess i'll have to call around on this.

Im in no hurry, i have plenty of muzzleloaders to use so i'll try not to get rushed. The barrel still goes back to TC ASAP! I emailed them and told them it was really bad and she said its covered for life and to send it in for warranty replacement so.. We will see.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

FG, if T/C doesn't replace it, have you considered a barrel liner?
A smith could do it, though in the end, it may be more $ than a replacement barrel.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ft52ev55ufgbvhntmeoztrnk))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID= 510

Quick Reply: New Englander arrived this morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.