HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New Englander arrived this morning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/227899-new-englander-arrived-morning.html)

frontier gander 01-18-2008 12:18 PM

New Englander arrived this morning

Just checked the mail and there was the tc new englander! Post master really liked it. Got it home and looked it over, the stock doesnt even have a mark on it! The barrel on the other hand has barely any rifling due to the last owners friend/brother not cleaning the rifle after shooting it. How bad is the barrel? Picture a civic war era muzzleloader that sat in a field for 100 years in the dirt before someone found it:D Almost no rifling left! No biggie, It gets sent back to TC when the hawken arrives. Both rifles are going to warranty service.

overall im really happy with the rifle. A lot heavier than i thought but hey, im young [8D]

cayugad 01-18-2008 12:24 PM

RE: New Englander arrived this morning

the weight is because of the wood stock. A lot of New Englanders come with the black composite stock which was a big selling point as it reduced the weight and made them easy to carry all day. That is a real nice looking rifle there.

Tahquamenon 01-18-2008 12:43 PM

Nice looking T/C New Englander. Definetely one of my favorite ML's.

Pretty decent of Thompson/Center to warranty your used NE huh?

Redpep 01-18-2008 12:47 PM

Just curious as to what they will do under warranty on your guns?

frontier gander 01-18-2008 12:48 PM

They all have a warranty. Some are just to hard headed and refuse to use'em

frontier gander 01-18-2008 12:50 PM

with the NE, they are either going to replace the .54 or put a 12g barrel on it for free. The hawken needs lock work. Also the NE might get a new lock, this has some rust on it.
Hope they'll just put the 12g barrel on the NE. rather have that.

sabotloader 01-18-2008 01:02 PM

FG

More power to you if TC replaces a neglected barrel. I once tried to get a 54 Renegade barrel replaced - severly pitted - they did not buy that one.

Good luck to you.

frontier gander 01-18-2008 01:05 PM

they wouldnt replace it? Why not?

sabotloader 01-18-2008 01:18 PM

FG

Basically because the previous owner did not clean it. And he was using regular BP. The barrel did not fail because of workmanship or just wear out. It was neglected by the original owner. I picked it up off e-bay, as a barrel that was in good shape - as he said.

frontier gander 01-18-2008 01:22 PM

well if they wont repair it i'll see about getting it bored to .56cal smoothbore.

Anyone know who does reboring jobs?