Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who is satisfied?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Who is satisfied?

I bought my ML last year and started out shooting 295 hollow point powerbelts. Somebody told me "oh they are the greatest thing since sliced bread". Well after pie plate sized groups at 75 yards, I went on to try the 250 shockwaves. It was love at first sight, they shot extremely well out to 100 yards/steps. I shoot 100grains 777, and 250 grain shockwaves, and am very content with this load. The last time I shot it I put a hole in a hole and then the third shot was less than an inch away from the first 2 shots, all were in the bullseye. I shot a deer and watched it drop after about 50 yards, I killed a hog and watched it drop in about 30 yards. But the person inside my head keeps telling me to try some Barnes bullets, I have heard they will flat plant a deer on its butt and shoot good to. But I am happy with what i am shooting, however I always like to try new stuff. Help me i've gone crazy...................
Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who is satisfied?

ORIGINAL: killadoe

I bought my ML last year and started out shooting 295 hollow point powerbelts. Somebody told me "oh they are the greatest thing since sliced bread". Well after pie plate sized groups at 75 yards, I went on to try the 250 shockwaves. It was love at first sight, they shot extremely well out to 100 yards/steps. I shoot 100grains 777, and 250 grain shockwaves, and am very content with this load. The last time I shot it I put a hole in a hole and then the third shot was less than an inch away from the first 2 shots, all were in the bullseye. I shot a deer and watched it drop after about 50 yards, I killed a hog and watched it drop in about 30 yards. But the person inside my head keeps telling me to try some Barnes bullets, I have heard they will flat plant a deer on its butt and shoot good to. But I am happy with what i am shooting, however I always like to try new stuff. Help me i've gone crazy...................
I don't think you have gone crazy, I have that same logic and am going to get my Savage sighted in for one of them, probably the Barnes Origonal in 300g .458 with crushed rib sabot. No fragmentation, 100% weight retention, 2x expansion, boom flop. I think they are better than SW, so your not crazy.
Chap Gleason
Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM

110% satisfied with my powebelt experiences. My .45 sidelock muzzleloader will put 3 225 grain powerbelts, 80 grains pyrodex p, 100 yards open sights under 1".

I love them and will continue to use them. Farthest deer that ever ran on us was 30 yards and dropped hard. Shortest one ever ran was... well it dropped as soon as the bullet hit. The second shortest was with a 225 grain powerbelt 80 grains triple 7 and she went 5 yards before piling up and rolling head over heals 20-30 feet. Blood was all over the place
http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?...86&mpage=1
Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advise is to pick a good bullet and powder combination and stick with it. That way you avoid the problems some of us have, like 6 or 8 different types of powder and 15 or 20 or more types and sizes of bullets and 3 to 5 different types of primers and 2 or 3 different types of caps, etc., etc.It is far too addicting to let it get ahold of you like that. I think I'm joining Semisane's neck of the population.

Not really, go on and do some testing with different bullets, you never know what you may find that works well in your gun. I've found at least a dozen different bullets and loads that work well in my guns. The Barnes bullets do shoot well in many guns and certainly perform well on game. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

At least you have a fall back on load. Now is exactly the time to experiment with other loads, projectiles, and powders. That is the real fun of these rifles. Unlike a center fire, muzzleloaders can be loaded down for small game or up for dangerous game. Its all a matter of experimentation. So have fun and try other bullets. If they don't work for you, then load your Shockwaves and go hunt something.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm satisfied, I've shot the 245 gr and the 348 gr aero tipped and have not had a problem with either. May go to the 405 gr next yr for poops and giggles

MI88
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

The 300gr Barnes Expander MZ that I use will plant a deer on it's butt. And if you read a lot of these posts about different bullets so willyour Shockwaves,Powerbelts, XTP's, Noslers, Gold Dots, and a bunch more. It's all about shot placement as far as I'm concerned. The Barnes 250 and 300gr shoot real well out of my MZ so I'm satisfied. I tried the Powerbelts, Sabertooths, and XTPs but never tried the Shockwaves, Dead Centers, etc. Lots of choices. Wouldn't hurt to try the Barnes, sounds like the Shockwaves work real good for you though.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

yes the shockwaves have worked great, I have gotten pass throughs on everything i've shot. I like a pass through, alot of times its like 2 blood trails...... They passed through a 200lb sow, course she wasnt but about 35-40 yards but still it went right through. Exit slightly larger than the entrance.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

"My advise is to pick a good bullet and powder combination and stick with it."

Good advice.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have stayed with the same load (200SW and 110gr 777) for 4-5 years now. I like knowing my gun extremely well. When I see a bullet superior to the 200SW come out at a similar price point, I'll try it.

Even the light little 200gr Shockwave will flatten deer. I dropped 4 straight in their tracks this year, I didn't want them to run so I shot them through both shoulders. If I don't care if they run a very short distance I do low through the ribs and save the shoulder meat. It's more about bullet placement than the bullet itself. Most of the debate about bullets is just marketing hype. I have tried a lot of bullets over the years with little if any real difference in the end result.