Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats better?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Whats better?

I was at Wal-Mart last night and they have Winchester Triple Seven primers for 2.00 and Remington Cleanbore primers for 2.50. I called my dad and he wanted the remington, but I picked up the winchester because I shoot 777. I have been shooting the CCI shotgun primers with good results. So which is better, the Winchester 777, the remington cleanbore, or the CCI? Also got me another loading tip for 1.00. They were out of bullets only one pack of powerbelt platinums left on the shelf, and no more powder. But they had a pile of 209 primers.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Whats better?

I have used both primers and to tell you the truth I cannot tell any difference. As a matter of fact I cannot tell the diff between them and the reg 209 primer. Having said that I use the Win T7. Why I don't know. Some think they are better and they may be correct while some think it is a marketing tool to increase profits.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 AM

I use the 777 primers as well. I started with the kleenbores and they would get to the point I had to pick them out of the breech. I have used the CCI but my optima groups better with the 777.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldwun

I have used both primers and to tell you the truth I cannot tell any difference. As a matter of fact I cannot tell the diff between them and the reg 209 primer. Having said that I use the Win T7. Why I don't know. Some think they are better and they may be correct while some think it is a marketing tool to increase profits.
If your shooting BP or Sub that is true, however if your shooting smokeless the 777 AND the Kleenbore do not have enough flame to start the smokeless powder. Basically I believe any 209 will work on ignition, however some are longer than other making some guns hard to close, or once fire they expand so much that they are difficult to remove. My recommendation is find one that works for you (easy to put in and take out) and use that all the time. Another thing is that some of the primers put out a lot of carbon and fill up breech plugs fast, it happens on my Savage, and you have to clean them after only 10 shot, which is quite a pain. So buy all you can at $2.00 cuase they are like $7, but stay with them if they shoot well in your MLer. Chap

Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

If my Wal Mart had them on sale like that I would not have worried which were better... I would have bought them out. Both of them will work fine with loose powder. With pellets, I like a little hotter primer like a Winchester W209. The Remington Kleenbore are my favorite for the loose powder shooting. I have never shot the new Winchester Triple Se7en primers.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the Remington BP primer's. the Winchester BP primer's, and the standard Winchester 209 primer. The "crud ring" was the smallest with the Remington after one shot. It was the smallest, but it was still there. I can feel it with the cleaning jag, and you could feel the difference. The Remington also shot the best for me, but I will admit I spent most of my load developing time with the Remington. Tom.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 PM

cci/777 were my choice. Remington kleanbores were actually dirty sob's and would always expand in my breech plug and got stuck. Hangfire city with them too.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

As mentioned I would also clear the rack at those prices.

Not shot the WIN777's as they have been spendy where I have seen them.

As for the Rem Kleenbore's, I've shot several hundred withoutan issue.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Remington's out of those two. But like someone said, at that price I might have just had to have bought all of them
Old 01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Ive shot the 777 primers with good results. It reduces my crud ring with t7 but doesnt eliminate it. Never shot the Rem but have a pack to try. I am with the others at that price buyem all!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Whats better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.