Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats better?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats better?

ORIGINAL: Tenmilephenom

Ive shot the 777 primers with good results. It reduces my crud ring with t7 but doesnt eliminate it. Never shot the Rem but have a pack to try. I am with the others at that price buyem all!!!!!!!
Wasnt that the original purpose of them, to get rid of the crud ring left by 777?I never really had a problem with it so had no need to try the primers out.Shot some out of dads CVA the other day though and they came out of the breech a lot harder then my Remingtons doout ofthe same gun.Must depend on the gun more than the primers if everyones had different experiences with the same primers.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had very similar results as far as accuracy is concerned; however the problems that can come up with different guns can change the situation. As an example I can not use either of the ones supposedly made for muzzleloading in my Triumph they will foul the flame passage right past the end of the209 so bad in 10 shots that it has to be cleaned with a drill. Lee
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found a pack of the Remington Muzzle Loader primers on sale for a couple of bucks so I bought the. I reload my shot shells with CCI's so that is whatI had been useing.
I saw no difference in the performance of my rifle with the Remingtons so I will stick with the CCI's which are far cheaper than the Remingtons unless you find them on sale.
I would have bought the lot also and divided them out to friends If they didn't work for me.

Al
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM

When I started out with my CVA WolfI was useingregular 209A's and after 15-20 shots the back of the breach plug and firing pin area were just covered in black crud. I then tried the Rem Kleenbore primers and now have zero blowback residue and they come out with no problem after firing. I wouldn't hesitate torecomend the Reminton Kleenbore's. I have used them a little with pelletized powder and I had no problems either. IMO I wouldsuggest that you shoot a bunch of each to see which one leavesthe least amount of blowback residue. I have read of guys having trouble with so much blowback residue thatleft unchecked eventuallyinhibited the firing pin from striking the primer. Good luck and havefun shootin!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have used both the remington kleenbore and the win.777 primers in my omega with 777 loose powder. Got less crud ring with the 777 primers. Less blowback with the 777 primers. And the spent 777 primers are a lot easier to remove from the breech plug........my experiences.