HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I've returned form my trip..
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
killadoe
Typical Buck

Default I've returned form my trip..

For those that dont know I went to Red River WMA this weekend with my ML. Friday evening, I heard deer in the thicket running through water but never saw one. That same evening right at dark I had a group of hogs come thorugh but I couldnt see them either, just heard them. Well Sat. morning at around 8:30 I heard deer running in the same thicket, then all of a sudden a big doe runs across my shooting lane to my right, so i stand so i can turn to get ready and a yerling steps out into the lane and stops about 75 yards away. I shot, the deer bounced into the thicket onthe left where the doe was. Then as I am reaching for my powder to reload they take off back across my lane into the original thicket. Hmmmm did I miss, I thought to myself, I had already missed a big buck earlier in the season with the same shot scenario. I give it about 30 minutes and I couldnt stand it any longer. As I am walking towards were the deer was standing I find a blood trail from where it crossed my shooting lane. But it wasnt alot of blood, so I am a little worried now. Deer didnt act hit and is barely bleeding. I followed it about 100 yards and decided to back out. I went and got my dad who was hunting not far from me and we picked up trail. Trailed for another 200-250 yards and the blood trail diminished just a few drops here and there. I hate that, i hate that I did that to an animal, I think it was a low briskett shot, there was a little white hair and that was it.
Well I walk back to get my stand and he goes to get his, as I am standing there i took off my jacket and hear something running towards me. Now what is this, I am thinking a big buck is on his way you know. well I get tolooking and about 30 hogs are coming my way fast. 2 sows and some little pigs. They run about 30 yards from me and I am on the first one but she hit my opening to fast, as the second big sow hits the opening she sees me and wheels around and I popped her, she ran about 30 yards and folded up. Right behind the shoulder, the 250 grain shockwave punched all the way through a 200lb hog with only 100 grains triple 7 pellets. Thiss my first year with a muzzleloader, I killed a young buck the first part of season I missed a big buck, I shot a deer that got away and killed a hog with it. Also i killed a cotton mouth with it. I really enjoy muzzleloading as much as I enjoy archery. it is a great hobby...