Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chevy or Ford..

Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Chevy or Ford..

MLKeith,...Thanks to you andathanks to rest of you guys for your help.Mr Keith would you kindly tell me what mount and ring you might suggest if a guy were to mount a 3x9Nikon(40mm) Buckmaster on the KRB.I really like Leupold gear,but I'm not married to the idea.Going the matte finish way if I do this.I also have used and like Burris signature Zees.A little confused as to my options on this rifle.Thanks again for your interest. hunt4me
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

I mounted a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 X40mm nickle on Warne nickle mounts and Warne QD nickle rings. The bell falls short of the rear sight by about an inch and a half, so that is good and the adjustment collar at the rear just clears the rolling block and hammer. The sight height is perfect for me with the stock as delivered. I like the Burris as it has the ballistic plex sight which is similar to mil-dot but really only has hold over dots below the standard crosshair (very similar to the Omega scope except not circles). Have not had time to wring it out yet but looks promising. I have had other Burris scopes and liked the sharp image they seem to get.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I will take a F-150 4x4 off road package and a new 08 TC Pro-Hunter Endeavor... now when can I expect these to be delivered? I handeled the KRB at Bass Pro not long ago andI really did like the way it shouldered... it looks like a nice rifle. My problem is that the new breech plugs on the Pro Hunter and the Triumph takes away any blow back and makes cleaning so easy I'm afraid I'm to spoiled to shoot anything else. Not to mention the sub MOA groups...
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

I've been really impressed with the KRB. I've had mine since June. I haven't had as much range time with it as I would have liked, but it's been shooting some impressive groups with what few different bullets I've put through it. When they finally get some more folks hired here at work, I hope to spend some time tweaking a few things and seeing what it's real potential is. So far, it shoots really well with the 250 gr Barnes expander and the 250 gr. bonded shock waves. There wasn't a whole lot of difference in grouping with these two. For conicals, it seems to like the 410 gr. Great Plains pretty well.

The action does get a little blow back, but cleaning is a snap. The action and trigger pop out in one piece and I just blow it out with break cleaner. As for physical weight, it's a little heavier than the omega but lighter than the CVA Optima I use to shoot. It's a well balance rifle and doesn't feel very heavy as a result of that. I personally like a little weight in a muzzleloader. It makes shooting the big conicals so much more pleasant.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Spike

Chris W.,.....Thanks for the info.Can I get ya to tell me which primer you be useing.And also what powder and charge your touching off.BTW,in my Omega's, I started a few months back applying pink plumbers tape to thebreech plug in place of greaseand also primed with vari-flames and reduced my blow back by about 80%.Tickled me to death.Do you think this might improve your (maybe my)KRB7? hunt4me
Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM

OK hunt4me

That is a real good price on any KRB blued or SS
I have a KRB SS / Black and I love this gun it is a AWSOME shooter I bought this gun in hopes to be a good Conical Shooter and boy was it ever, It is the EASYEST ML that I have to clean the bore Diam. of mine is .503.5 so I shoot a .504 Bull Shop Conical out of it with 85gr 2fg loose 777 and a Win. 777 primer. the bullets I shoot is a NEX 460gr and a 443gr UC SHORT both by BS this gun will print 1" to 1.75" groups at 100yds all day long . As far as the Weight I am with UC gun dosen't feel no mor than 7lbs now that is stripped (no scope or rings) I have Shot Sabots out of this gun also with good turn outs the 250gr Barns spitfire TMZ 95gr 2fg loose 777 .75 to 1.5" The 300gr Speer GD 95gr 2fg loose 777 1" to 1.75" but this is my new conical shooter for sure as far as base & rings I bought the weaver SS bases and the LOPY high rings just to give me a little more thumb clearance on trigger & primer loading and I should say that the primer just as long as you get it on the plate it will fall right in place when you go to close the breech.
This is a pritty simple gun and a great shooter I would Highly recommend it for sabots or conicals.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'm shooting 110 gr. of fff Triple seven with the expanders and shockwaves. With the 410 gr. GP, I was shooting 95 gr. of the same. The primers are the Winchester 777 primers. Here are some of the groups I shot back before the season with the250 gr. expanders and some 385 gr. GP concals.

I'm wanting to play a little bit more with the charge size and probably try some different primers to see if I can shrink those a touch further. I can definately live with those groups, but it never hurts to tinker a bit in the off season.
As far as the teflon tape goes, I haven't tried that yet. I've been meaning too but just haven't gotten around to it, so I can't comment on that.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Spike

Thanks Indiana...I thought the price was real good also.We just had a Sportsmans Whse.open here,and I think they are trying to get the competitions attention.And I can tell you they are doing just that.We have needed this for a long time.We do have the normal big box outfits
...ks etc.,which has terrible inventory and worse service with zero knowledge of anything related to hunting/fishing.Plus we have a couple of smaller private dealers that have been really putting it to customers for a long,long time.And there inv./service stinks as well.An example.called one today,looking for some,what I think arebasic Weaver s45 bases.Talked with the owner no less.He,I swear,tells me "he never heard of Weaver steel bases,only aluminum,and then tells me the "s" is for "silver".Dear Lord,I thought,I hope he has put a little money back.He's probably gonna need it.They also priced me a 3x12 VX1@$449.00.Bought it for 259.95 elsewhere.Sorry for the rant,but I really resent being figured for a fool. hunt4me
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Spike

Chris W.....Dog gone good shootin there sir.Appears to me you might get that a down a bit in time.How many rounds would ya guess you had down the chute befor those targets.BTW,..the two shot target looks like a couple of mine.Shoot two darn good ones and then I chicken out on any more cause I don't want to screw it up.Them just for grins I move to another target and...DAWG IT...it's right there.Come on now,..I know I'm not the only one to ever do that.LOL.Thanks again for your help...hunt4me
Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Chris, Ditch the triple 7 when shooting the GP conicals. 80-90 grains Pyrodex RS always was the best load with the 385 and 410 GP's in my X-150. Triple7 always opened the groups up.

Quick Reply: Chevy or Ford..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.