Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chevy or Ford..

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Spike

Default Chevy or Ford..

I kinda like both.Do you guys with lots of experience realize how much influence you have with us less experienced(lol)?Maybe I'm one of the few that gets a bit confused at times with what I read here.So what's my point you ask.I have 2 50calOmegas,have for 3 years now.A black and shiny one and a laminate and shiny one.Both topped w/Nikon Buckmasters.After some tricking out,..(especially the synthetic stock)thanks Sabotloader,they both print EXTREMELY well.Yep,i'M a little slow on the uptake,but have finally figured out the process.Loading consistancy,cleaning consistancy,torque consistancy,cooling,charge,primer,bullet,sabot,and on and on.Had no idea of all the possible varibles and the time and expense to "get it right".Not boasting,but I have figured it out so to speak.Now I'm wanting,not needing another one to figure out.Would really like some input from you folks on the KRB7,particularly those who haveKRB7s.(Can get one for $269,is that a fair price)?And it would be great to hear from some who have the Omega and the KRB.I guess I'm like a lot of you,I really want better than 2" inch groups.Omegas are giving me 1 1/4's,sometimes less.Tickles me to outshoot my buddies.If i'm happy w/Omegas,will I be as happy with a Knight KRB? Ford or Chevy..T/C or Knight,can they not all be good?I love this place, you guys are very interesting and at times down right entertaining. hunt4me
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Chevy or Ford..

HUNT4ME

Ford/Chev - for me it is Weight/Lighter...

I have to tell you I have not handled a KRB - I am afraid two... but when I look at the weight of the KRB and the weight of the Omega/synthetic stock... I'll stay with the Omega... but remember I am old! and out here we do very little stand hunting... it is up one ridge down another walking... This year I started the season with the White U-mag, and 8# gun, and I will tell you at the end of the day I new it. The other proble is can not actually hunt with the rifle slung over my shoulders - it need to be in my hands - just one of thse things...

So I am using weight as my deterent...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Spike

Sabotloader,...as you know I'm in VA...LOT's of brush.So much so that I zero guns at 70 yds.Occassionally I'll get a 90-100 yd.shot,and with 250gr.sst's or 250gr.gold dots,(per your suggestion,thank you sir), it's really a matter point and shoot.Consequently the weight is not that much of an issue.Honestly,I just want another shooter.My Omegas,one belongs to the wife,are GREAT shooters.Just wanted to find out if I could expect the same from a KRB7.Heck,who knows,I may just turn it into a paper puncher. hunt4me
Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

HUNT4ME

Honestly,I just want another shooter.My Omegas,one belongs to the wife,are GREAT shooters.Just wanted to find out if I could expect the same from a KRB7.Heck,who knows,I may just turn it into a paper puncher
I know EXACTLY what you mean - I have 7 differnet inlines and probably 10 sidehamers - as my stands with her hands on her hips - WHY? I do not exactly know why - but they are all tools and they all do different jobs?

The KRB is suppose to be balanced really well - so that should distribute the weight very well..

Good luck
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chevy or Ford, The KRBwhile I dont own one right now I have set some up for some of the hunters in our group at the range that like to hunt MZ season and use High powered rifles for their range fun most of the time. They require a different sabot fit and you will find some difference in cleaning and it is no problem for a good bench shooter to get them down to the same level 3/4 to 1.5 inch with most you have to realize that individual guns the loads and bullets they like to shoot that well will vary and you have to find what the gun likes. I though about one but ended up with a Triump, I actually like a little more weight but I wanted to try the new design and I really like it I just wish for a bit solider stock, I have not had a bit of trouble with either of mine but I dont like hearing of some one having problems just because they over or under tightended the stock screws. Hope this helps Lee
Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

For vehicles strictly Ford! (my wife's dad retired from Ford and he let's us use his discount )
For muzzleloaders I don't feel disadvantaged with any good brand. I will say T/C has probably provided the best service & accuracy over the years, though.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if BassPro got a special run of the KRB7s or whut, but the two I handled in Springfield didn't feel like even 7lbs to me. Of course, the blued one was broken - probably from the girl behind the counter dry-firing the gun. She seemed to really enjoy doing that.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

I own both in stainless. I have had the Omega for a long time. It is a good shooter although picky as to sabots that can be loaded. My bore is very tight. The KRB7 has a much larger bore and as stated the two rifles will shoot different bullet/sabot combinations. One reason I got the KRB (other than I like rolling blocks) is that it will shoot conicals well and the Omega is not good at that for me. My Omega has decided to run the bullets all over the place lately and I think it is the front mounting lug and synthetic stock that is causing it. The KRB has a lot more solid stock and it is definately heavier although since I do not do a lot of walking when hunting (usually) the weight is not a big deal for me. I have not had the KRB long enough to give a good shooting report but others that have are doing very well. Many reports of one to one and a half groups at 100 yards. With the Green Mountain barrel I would expect that to be true.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't know Fords or Chevys came in stainless steel.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HUNT4ME

I kinda like both.Do you guys with lots of experience realize how much influence you have with us less experienced(lol)?Maybe I'm one of the few that gets a bit confused at times with what I read here.So what's my point you ask.I have 2 50calOmegas,have for 3 years now.A black and shiny one and a laminate and shiny one.Both topped w/Nikon Buckmasters.After some tricking out,..(especially the synthetic stock)thanks Sabotloader,they both print EXTREMELY well.Yep,i'M a little slow on the uptake,but have finally figured out the process.Loading consistancy,cleaning consistancy,torque consistancy,cooling,charge,primer,bullet,sabot,and on and on.Had no idea of all the possible varibles and the time and expense to "get it right".Not boasting,but I have figured it out so to speak.Now I'm wanting,not needing another one to figure out.Would really like some input from you folks on the KRB7,particularly those who haveKRB7s.(Can get one for $269,is that a fair price)?And it would be great to hear from some who have the Omega and the KRB.I guess I'm like a lot of you,I really want better than 2" inch groups.Omegas are giving me 1 1/4's,sometimes less.Tickles me to outshoot my buddies.If i'm happy w/Omegas,will I be as happy with a Knight KRB? Ford or Chevy..T/C or Knight,can they not all be good?I love this place, you guys are very interesting and at times down right entertaining. hunt4me
I have a Ford and a Chevy (Knight Disc and a TC Omega) both will shoot 2" groups, but I bought a Savage for exactly the same reason, except the Savage will shoot 1.5" groups out of the Box and it will do better. I am from VA also and I shot smokeless all year the entire season from 1 sat in Nov till last Saturday. Here are my groups with my Savage:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

best group was the SW:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/TC_Shockwave_300g_2007_06_02_AA5744_44g_FederalPri mer_default%20sabot.jpg

Ended up using Parker Ballistic Extreme:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/Parker_Ballistic_Extreme_275g_2007_09_03_AA5744_44 g_WinchesterKleenborePrimer_default%20sabot.jpg

not quite as good as the SW, but will surely kill a deer.
Chap

Quick Reply: Chevy or Ford..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.