Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Realistic Range

Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default Realistic Range

I have posted some questions in hopesof making an informed ML purchase and everyone on here has been of tremdous help in their replys and reading posts from the past. I had narrowed the gun down to 2 and found a post from early Dec. that has made up my mind. I don't want to reveal my choice so it will not sway any comments on my next question.

Of the current in lines avaiable under these circumstances what is a realistic distance thatcan be acheived out of .50 cal 80-120 gr powder. I have no experiance on bullets, or powder for that matter I'm just going from previous posts.

1 Let's say I justhappen to have bench with rest, no wind, ideal temp and humidity.
2 Scope is sorta like the omega in thatit has multiple elevation marks that match the load. (no having to guess on hold over)
3 I am steady as a rock and just a plain old good shot.

How far can I reach out and touch a deer under these IDEAL CONDITIONS that will never happen.

Several posts make it clear that 100-150 yds is quite common. I know that at some point the bullet drop will exceed the scopes vertical field of view and/or not have enough energy to do the job.

JUST TO BE CLEAR before anyone jumps me I am not advocating taking shots beyound the shooter skill or equipment. I am just curious as to what the guns are capable of under right conditions and what shooter have done or seen done.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Realistic Range

If you're a good shot, well practiced, and with the right powder charge of say 120 grains and a good aerodynamic projectile.. 200+ yards are possible. I am also not advocating such distances, but it could be done. It will all depend on what your practice dictates. If you can place your shots at 200 yards or even 250 yards.. the rifle has the power to make a kill at some hard to believe distances. You might need some tracking skills as it will not drop in its tracks.. but the rifle has the power.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM

At that kind of powder charges kills can be made to 200yds BUT you would have to bee a seasond shooter and know your gun well.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 PM

I will say 225 yards with a 120gr charge. You'll have about a foot of drop with a 250gr shockwavebullet when sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds, and about 950ft/lbs energy. I know for a fact that shockwaves work well around 200 yards with such a charge.I don't know how slow that modern jacketed bullet will open up, which would be the real decisive factor for a precision shooter. If it could still perform at 1100fps I'd say 300 yards...about 700ft/lbs energy but the big bullet could easily make the target dead, fast.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well with my favorite load a 200gr Shock Wave and 150 gr RS which shoots the best groups I have ever gotten out of a muzzleloader [thats a 50 cal sabot and a 40 cal bullet with a BC of .269 and SD of 179] I can hit the clanger thats supposed to be about life sized for the kill area on a deer almost every time according to my range finder its between 235 and 240 yds, but I wont even try if there is a breeze. Lee
Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Phathead

Under those "perfect" conditions and with a any of my scoped inlines and with the right bullet in the barrel... 200 yards is not a problem...

With a sidehammer and open sights 150 give or take would be my max...
Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phathead

I have posted some questions in hopesof making an informed ML purchase and everyone on here has been of tremdous help in their replys and reading posts from the past. I had narrowed the gun down to 2 and found a post from early Dec. that has made up my mind. I don't want to reveal my choice so it will not sway any comments on my next question.

Of the current in lines avaiable under these circumstances what is a realistic distance thatcan be acheived out of .50 cal 80-120 gr powder. I have no experiance on bullets, or powder for that matter I'm just going from previous posts.

1 Let's say I justhappen to have bench with rest, no wind, ideal temp and humidity.
2 Scope is sorta like the omega in thatit has multiple elevation marks that match the load. (no having to guess on hold over)
3 I am steady as a rock and just a plain old good shot.

How far can I reach out and touch a deer under these IDEAL CONDITIONS that will never happen.

Several posts make it clear that 100-150 yds is quite common. I know that at some point the bullet drop will exceed the scopes vertical field of view and/or not have enough energy to do the job.

JUST TO BE CLEAR before anyone jumps me I am not advocating taking shots beyound the shooter skill or equipment. I am just curious as to what the guns are capable of under right conditions and what shooter have done or seen done.

A Nosler Partition 300g with a balistic Coeffiecient of .199 pushed out of the barrel at 2000 FPS, sighted at 150 yards (3" high at 100 yards) gives the following ballistics, making a 200 yard shot quite doablewith the conditions you mentioned. MPBR is 175 yards. Chap Gleason

Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM

I think the decimal in those ft-lbs needs to be moved a space
Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rem 700

I think the decimal in those ft-lbs needs to be moved a space
Yep, your right, didn't even look at that. Was looking at bullet drop. Thanks Chap
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM

anything over 100 yds and i got to have a little help from up above, anything closer than 20 yards has a good chance of getting away. a good rifle will hold true out to a 120 yds with a small charge after that it drops fast. a hot charge and a matched load with a scope (or peep site)set for the drop will kill alot further than most of us can imagine. in the end it don't realy matter what you got in yours hands but what your hands can do with the rifle.

Quick Reply: Realistic Range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.