HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Realistic Range
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Realistic Range

ORIGINAL: Phathead

I have posted some questions in hopesof making an informed ML purchase and everyone on here has been of tremdous help in their replys and reading posts from the past. I had narrowed the gun down to 2 and found a post from early Dec. that has made up my mind. I don't want to reveal my choice so it will not sway any comments on my next question.

Of the current in lines avaiable under these circumstances what is a realistic distance thatcan be acheived out of .50 cal 80-120 gr powder. I have no experiance on bullets, or powder for that matter I'm just going from previous posts.

1 Let's say I justhappen to have bench with rest, no wind, ideal temp and humidity.
2 Scope is sorta like the omega in thatit has multiple elevation marks that match the load. (no having to guess on hold over)
3 I am steady as a rock and just a plain old good shot.

How far can I reach out and touch a deer under these IDEAL CONDITIONS that will never happen.

Several posts make it clear that 100-150 yds is quite common. I know that at some point the bullet drop will exceed the scopes vertical field of view and/or not have enough energy to do the job.

JUST TO BE CLEAR before anyone jumps me I am not advocating taking shots beyound the shooter skill or equipment. I am just curious as to what the guns are capable of under right conditions and what shooter have done or seen done.

A Nosler Partition 300g with a balistic Coeffiecient of .199 pushed out of the barrel at 2000 FPS, sighted at 150 yards (3" high at 100 yards) gives the following ballistics, making a 200 yard shot quite doablewith the conditions you mentioned. MPBR is 175 yards. Chap Gleason