Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Static

Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Static

Hi,

I found those "tests" on the Web about static and BP.

It was also said that BP is NOT friction nor impact sensitive.

I would be interested by your comments.

Etienne, who thought that static was a real fear...

Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Static

Ive used one of those strikers from a gas stove and it wouldnt set it off.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not something I'd want to test out while filling a powder flask, I can tell you that. [:-]
Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

It's not something I'd want to test out while filling a powder flask, I can tell you that. [:-]
Exactly!!

[hr]

I think it was Myth Busters that did a segment on static electricity and black powder, or one of them learning type shows, I saw those same tests. That experiment might work 99% of the time, but there is that 1% out there that would still concern me. No use in taking chances with black powder or any powder substitute for that matter. Common Sense is the key to survival in black powder matters. Ask yourself, what if.. and then work accordingly.

Remember black powder is classified as an explosive for a reason. Treat it with respect and you should be fine.

The best one I ever saw years ago,was a person on a range, smoking a cigarette while loading a muzzleloader. After he had it safely loaded I mentioned his actions. He simply said he had been doing it for years and never had a problem or accident. I think he was offended when I packed up my stuff and moved to the far end of the range away from him. I could care less if he blew himself up or parts of him off, but I was not about to be part of the splatter.

Now that I have my own range. I have strict rules of conduct. You break them and your out the driveway.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bye Dave!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well believe what you must.

All I know is that every pyrotechnic manufacturer, fireworks manufacturerand every ammo depot that I've ever been to were very seriously concerned about static discharge.

So take it for what it's worth.[&o]
Old 12-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Davethat storybrings to mind the countless people that I see every week smoking while they're pumping gas. There's dumb actions and then there are DUMB actions.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Bye Dave!
You frighten me! [:-]- - - - - - -
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

underclocked frightens a lot of us.. we're just kind and do not mention it..
Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you this much,when I was buckskining a lot and using a flintlock if you put about as much 4F in the tinder as you put in the pan of a rifle one spark and you had a fire and if electiricty dont set it off easy then these people that are buying that new electricly operated muzzleloader from CVA are not going to be happy. Lee

Quick Reply: Static

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.