Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Has anyone here shot the federal fusions? >

Has anyone here shot the federal fusions?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Has anyone here shot the federal fusions?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Has anyone here shot the federal fusions?

I was just watching guns and ammo TV. They showed a federal fusion saboted muzzleloader bullet. They shot it into ballistics gel and when they retrieved it, it looked a lot like the gold dots that have been shown here. I think theysaid they're available in 240,250 and 300 grain. P.S. - It didn't show or say what powder charge or what type of powder they were using.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone here shot the federal fusions?

Not in the ML version. In fact, this is the first I've heard of them. I have shot them in my .30-06 with Fusion factory 150gr and 165gr bullets. Accuracy was marginal (2-2.5" groups) out of my Savage, which will shoot the cheap Winchester Super-X 150gr Power Points into average 0.75" groups at 100 yards.

Might be worth a try for the ML though. If they'll offer good expansion without disintigrating at any velocity and give pass-through performance, and be cheaper than the Barnes MZ or TMZ bullets (which do both very well), they'd be a great bullet.

Are they in stores yet?

Mike

Old 12-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

ATK is the parent co. for Federal/CCI. Not sure on the fusion BP bullet but federal has the Hydro-shok and now the HST round which is the Hydro shock tactical bullet. The gold dot is of course from cci. Both excellent bulletsthat maintain max expansion w/o loss of the lead core. It peels back and make a huge exit. I have only used the hornady equal in BP and that is the XTP. All very similar in design. From the bullets I have seen the XTP came apart off the lead core twice. All good ones.
Steve
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Never shot one out of a muzzleloader but a friend was shooting them out of his slug gun this past season. We recovered one from a buck he shot. Shot was 70-80 yds. downhill, bullet entered high on the left ham shattering the pelvis. Bullet continued up through about 12-14" of spine then down through the vitals. There was an exit hole but the bullet was found along the ribs under the hide. Bullet did not expand at all. Not sure how that happened after encountering that much bone.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, expansion, or lack of it, is what concerns me. I've never had luck with jacketed bullets. Is it that the deer are small here? Is it that the shots are too close and the bullets don't expand? I don't know. I wouldn't mind shooting a jacketed ML bullet but until I find one that I can be confident will expand quickly and stay together, I've got to stay with the all lead bullets. The expand extremely well and retain their weight. Maybe someday I'll find something that works.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe someday I'll find something that works.
Try some Gold Dots for one hunt and you will be sold.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

tried fusion in my CF 06'. Did not like them went back to the old core lokt. Gold dots or shockwaves arean inexpensive proven good bullet.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gt2003

I was just watching guns and ammo TV. They showed a federal fusion saboted muzzleloader bullet. They shot it into ballistics gel and when they retrieved it, it looked a lot like the gold dots that have been shown here. I think theysaid they're available in 240,250 and 300 grain. P.S. - It didn't show or say what powder charge or what type of powder they were using.
I think in Am Rifleman about 3 or 4 months ago that Craig Boddington spoke some about these, if I recall correctly. I think he shot them into zebra, and the tops were perfectly mushroomed, long shanks. He called them beautiful for expansion and penetration, I don't remember the caliber, maybe a 338, but he like them a lot. I will look up the article, it was a good read and if they are making a 45/70 bullet that would be a great MLer bullet. Chap
Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Semisane,

Have you shot them at close distances? Like 10-30 yards? If so, did they expand really well? A bunch of my shots are right around this range and since my experiences with the XTP's, I'm really gun shy about any jacketed bullets. I'd have to hear personal experiences about them at this range to consider them as a hunting load.

Let me know your experiences at this range. I currently shoot the precision rifle dead center 220's over 80 grains of 777.

One more thing, let me know what weigh bullet you would recommend. The deer in my area are pretty small, 80 lbs field dressed is pretty typical. Thanks, Greg
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

gt2003

Federal Fusion ML.... Looked them up at Midway - but really can not tell whoose bullets they are from the pics.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=756570&t=11082005

Federal Fusion Bullets 50 Caliber Sabot with 240 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 12
Product #:756570
Our Price:$12.79

[align=right][/align]

Federal Fusion Bullets 50 Caliber Sabot with 260 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 12
Product #:584927

[align=right][/align]

Federal Fusion Bullets 50 Caliber Sabot with 300 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 12
Product #:991339

I can not find anything on the Federal site that addresses ML bullets...

They must be bonded though as they provide 95% weight retention...

For use in 50 caliber muzzleloaders only, these bullets offer a 95% weight retention along with the Fusion accuracy and expansion.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here shot the federal fusions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.