Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 pyrodex pellets vs. t7 pellets >

pyrodex pellets vs. t7 pellets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pyrodex pellets vs. t7 pellets

Old 12-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default pyrodex pellets vs. t7 pellets

Alright I have been searching everywhere aboutthese to see what is the more recommended pellet. I just wanted to try them. I'm still not sure if I wanna use them or not just looking for the most accurate, cleanest, easiest use propellant. Some sites I have found say the pyrodex pellets are more accurate than the t7 some say the opposite. Most everyone seems to agree though that t7 powder is the best. I really want to be able to shoot 150 yards accuratley if the opportunity presented itself. I shoot an encore .50 and use 200 grain shockwaves. Please give me your opinions on what would be the most accurate fastest shooting propellant? I only shoot a few times a year so price is not an issue. Thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pyrodex pellets vs. t7 pellets

ORIGINAL: blondiez24

Alright I have been searching everywhere aboutthese to see what is the more recommended pellet. I just wanted to try them. I'm still not sure if I wanna use them or not just looking for the most accurate, cleanest, easiest use propellant. Some sites I have found say the pyrodex pellets are more accurate than the t7 some say the opposite. Most everyone seems to agree though that t7 powder is the best. I really want to be able to shoot 150 yards accuratley if the opportunity presented itself. I shoot an encore .50 and use 200 grain shockwaves. Please give me your opinions on what would be the most accurate fastest shooting propellant? I only shoot a few times a year so price is not an issue. Thanks
Accurate is what is most accurate in your gun. See this. Chap Gleason

Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

i use the Pyrodex 50 grain pellets almost exclusively when hunting with my CVA Staghorn. Killed a lot of deer and hogs with two50 grain Pyrodexpellets along with the 240 grain .44 caliber XTP bullet.100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and 100 grains of loose RS both shoot to the same point of aim in that gun:That cheap old gun shoots very small groups with that load. Would not hesitate to shoot a deer or hog at 150 yards with that gun.

200 grain Shockwaves are a much better bullet than the 240 grain XTP that i use.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Of the two pellets, I like Pyrodex RS pellets the best. I get the best accuracy with them. Also the fact that you do not shoot much would also mean you do not clean much, so that would not be an issue as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

well I went to the muzzleloading store, and was looking at there powders, and pellets. The guy was really giving me bull I think. He told me that goex pinnacle pellets were the best you could buy, and that those were the pellets that jim shockey used. He said they have a commercial on tv were they shoot the gun 10,000 times without cleaning it. I could have swore that jim shockey shot american pioneer powder. So I kinda strayed away from what he said. He told me T7 burned 10% hotter than other powders, but only in the powder form. He said the T7 pellets were the excat same as the pyrodex pellets. He said it was just a marketing skeem to make money. He said pellets often cause your gun to hang fire. I know thats a lie because I have friends that shoot pellets. Well anyways I ended up going somewhere else, and the other guy I seen said T7 is one of the best you ould buy. He said he would sell me the pellets and guarantee them to shoot accuratly, and if they didn't shoot well to bring the rest back and he'll give me my money. So I went home set up the target at about 75 yards. I was already sited in at 75 about 1" high with 90 grains of goex ffg. First shot was 3"s high of the bullseye windage was perfect. I also noticed the gun didn't kick as much which was nice. I swabbed the barrel cause I was anxious to see how it cleaned and smelled. Man was I surprised that had no smell what so ever, 1 patch cleaned the barrel to where no black residue was on the patch. I always keep my gun verry clean, but it usually takes 4 or 5 patches to be completey clean. So I loaded again to see how accurate it was. I shot and put it right through the same hole. It just barely caught the edge of the 1st bullet hole. So I adjusted my scop 5 clicks down. Shot and 1 1/2 "s high it was perfect. I did 1 more click, cleanedit and oiled it. I was hapy as can be. I am sold on these T7 pellets. Sorry for so long of a write, but I thought I would share. Also thanks for helping me guys.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have never used pellets , but i noticed that our local walmart has the T7 pellets on sale , but the Pyrodex pellets were not and they sold out way before the T7 . The T7 pellets are not popular here .
Old 12-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blondiez24

well I went to the muzzleloading store, and was looking at there powders, and pellets. The guy was really giving me bull I think. He told me that goex pinnacle pellets were the best you could buy, and that those were the pellets that jim shockey used. He said they have a commercial on tv were they shoot the gun 10,000 times without cleaning it. I could have swore that jim shockey shot american pioneer powder. So I kinda strayed away from what he said. He told me T7 burned 10% hotter than other powders, but only in the powder form. He said the T7 pellets were the excat same as the pyrodex pellets. He said it was just a marketing skeem to make money. He said pellets often cause your gun to hang fire. I know thats a lie because I have friends that shoot pellets. Well anyways I ended up going somewhere else, and the other guy I seen said T7 is one of the best you ould buy. He said he would sell me the pellets and guarantee them to shoot accuratly, and if they didn't shoot well to bring the rest back and he'll give me my money. So I went home set up the target at about 75 yards. I was already sited in at 75 about 1" high with 90 grains of goex ffg. First shot was 3"s high of the bullseye windage was perfect. I also noticed the gun didn't kick as much which was nice. I swabbed the barrel cause I was anxious to see how it cleaned and smelled. Man was I surprised that had no smell what so ever, 1 patch cleaned the barrel to where no black residue was on the patch. I always keep my gun verry clean, but it usually takes 4 or 5 patches to be completey clean. So I loaded again to see how accurate it was. I shot and put it right through the same hole. It just barely caught the edge of the 1st bullet hole. So I adjusted my scop 5 clicks down. Shot and 1 1/2 "s high it was perfect. I did 1 more click, cleanedit and oiled it. I was hapy as can be. I am sold on these T7 pellets. Sorry for so long of a write, but I thought I would share. Also thanks for helping me guys.
75 yards same hole, stay with them. Good shooting. They are good clean, powerful and accurate powder. See this for velocity of the 777, 100g is all ya need. Chap Gleason

Old 12-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UtahRob

I have never used pellets , but i noticed that our local walmart has the T7 pellets on sale , but the Pyrodex pellets were not and they sold out way before the T7 . The T7 pellets are not popular here .
The prodex is a lot cheaper (about $10, cheaper around where I live), and if folks shot their gun in about 5 years ago before 777 came out and they are shooting excellent, why switch? My brother shoots an encore with3 pyrodex pellets, andhe has never switched, becuase his is very accurate at 100 yards with 300g Harvester SabreTooth, he was a big time PB user--he sent 14 packages back to CVA.
Chap Gleason