Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 harvester or mmp 24 >

harvester or mmp 24

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

harvester or mmp 24

Old 12-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Default harvester or mmp 24

well i finally broke down and bought a box of the nosler partition hg 260 grain. what sabot should i be using??? i already have some of the harvester will they be fine????
Old 12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: harvester or mmp 24

ihuntbuck

You do not say which gun you are using but the Harvesters should work just fine. Harvesters come in two varieties a "long" petal and a "shorter" petal. The MMP HPH-24 comes with a long petal.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

well i finally broke down and bought a box of the nosler partition hg 260 grain. what sabot should i be using??? i already have some of the harvester will they be fine????
I use the harvester crushed rib sabots in my Knight Disc and TC Omega with 300g Nosler Partition. If the bullet is nice and tight, that is what you want. What gun do you use? I have a whole bunch of different sabots, so I can try different ones with different bullets, most of the time the supplied sabot does NOT work in my guns. Chap Gleason
Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM

i shoot a omega. prob gonna start with 100gr of loose triple 7 . also looks like i must have short petal as there is plenty of bullet showing.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot a omega. prob gonna start with 100gr of loose triple 7 . also looks like i must have short petal as there is plenty of bullet showing.
The petals showing is not the issue, the issue is the tightness of the sabot when you load it in the bore. You should try the sabot, if it load tight. Remember the the ole saying "the tigher the sabot, the tighter the groups", up to having to pound them down. So you select the sabot that is just right, not loose, not too tight, just right.
Chap Gleason
Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 PM

does anyone have any amount of range time with this bullet. can i expect it to fly simallar to say an xtp??? anyone have a pet load to share using this bullet???
Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ihuntbuck

100 grains of T7-2f - MMP HPH24 sabot... but the regualr harvester will work just fine either the long or short petal...

If your Omega is a real new one and has not been shot a lot - it might be real snug - if it is to tight you might have to move to the mmp HPH-3p-EZ load or the Harvester "crush rib" - I prefer the 3p but that is just me...

One thing you can do to help get it down the barrel is put the bullet in the sabot then spin the sabot on your tongue to moisten the outside of the sabot then insert it in the barrel. I always put them in the same way - I put a petal right under where the front sight would be then push them home with my thumb and then the ram-rod.

Good luck - they are a geat bullet for whitetail - easily shoot it to 180 yards...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the crushed rib sabot in both an Omega and a Knight Disc and they work fine. Easy loading and very accurate. I like the 300g they shoot thru deer. Chap

Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM

i have been using the 385 gr. in my 12 gauge since 01 and it has performed great. my wife just started this year and her 20 gauge uses the 260 and she gave one an azz kickin with it went thru both shoulder no problem really made a mess of the lungs i was really suprised that such a small dia. bullet would leavesuch big entry and exit holes. cant wait till doe season to try them out in my omega...
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

A 20 gauge is hardly considered small in diameter. It would be a .62 caliber. Put a .62 caliber hole though any animal's vital organs and I will guarantee you that something is going to suffer from that wound.

Quick Reply: harvester or mmp 24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.