Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A Case For or Against the .54 >

A Case For or Against the .54

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Case For or Against the .54

Old 11-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Case For or Against the .54

Ok now, I want to hear all the good, bad and the ugly on the .54's.

I currently own only .50's (inline's, a caplock and flintlock's). I like the versatility of the inlines in regards to bullet choice. They are quite capable in their own right andas good or better than some centre fire rifles. The "Traditional" rifles are capable within their respective limitations. So, if I were to be convinced into purchasing a .54; What wouldbe the traits that would endear me to one? I live in Canada, so my bullet choices would be limited. A PRB would be my best bet and most likely a flinter. I'm also lefthanded so that will also limit my choices to basically a Lyman.

Help me out here folks.[]

Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A Case For or Against the .54

It is true that a round ball is the poorest balastic shape, that and the fact the bigger round balls and the great heavy bullets are limited by the amount of recoil and the twist which is always designed for loads the "normal average person will shoot"
The combination of a 54 weight being in the range that allows reasonable recoil while pushing it up to 2100 feet per second so it end up haveing the best [flatest] trajectory that is available with a round ball, the other point is that it has more capabilityfor stopping medium size game, I now there will be some peole especally the ones that shoot loads like I put in the kids guns when they were little that will argue thisbut I have taken 27 deer several bear and 3 boar with a PRB in a 54; one deer I shoot a bit farther bach than I wanted and was out 120 yds and moving ran about 60 yds after being hit and one [very large bear] ran about 40 yds the rest were dropped in there tracks. Now we all know shooting them in the right place is necessary for good results so we wont go into that. I have my own idea of why it works so good, it takes a combination of caliber and velocity to drop an animal in its tracks with medium size game it is possable a .270 with a 130 gr bullet or a 3006 with a 150 gr bullet or a 54 cal with a PRB will do it. I have had to track a number of deer that were shot with 45 and 50 cal my wife and kids took anumber that way and I climbed the ladder so to speak looking for something more effective, I did not stop at 54 I shoot a 58 and a 62 after using a 54 the rainbow trajectory did not appeal to me and the much slower ball did not stop them in there tracks like the 54. That 54 cal ball with 130 gr of RS and a 35 inch barrel is a real stopper. Lee
Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Anytime I purchase a traditional rifle, I would rather have a .54 caliber over a .50. They have better down range energy, and some claim better long range accuracy. I could never prove that. The .54 caliber is a great caliber and a roundball with 100 grains of powder will take out about anything you want to shoot with it. Put that ball in the rifle place from a reasonable range, and you will take that animal.

I also have shot a lot of deer with a .54 caliber. Only once, did I not get pass through. Why that one time was, after the ball entered the deer it hit a rib on the off side and started to follow that rib up and then around. Talk about taking a deer out fast.. but it did not exit like normal.

Also a Lyman flintlock is a great rifle. Even if you do have to shoot a left handed one..
Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Even if you do have to shoot a left handed one..
I was waiting for that to come out. lol I can shoot right handed and generally shoot that way fairly well. It just takes a lot longer for me as I have to take more time to do it right. Just ain't natural I tell ya.[:'(]

I don't think I will require much arm twisting on this. Can flinter's be shot "off hand" without burning up? It's funny, the only thing I do lefty is shoot. When I load or swab it's all righty.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes flinters can be shot off hand. I do it all the time. As for burning up, I am not sure what you mean about that.

Just remember that the vent hole needs to have some clearance to it when you shoot. I was shooting mine one afternoon and a friend was over. He seemed determined to sit on my right, where he could watch the lock. I told him twice to stay away from the side of that rifle, just for his protection. My fear was it would flash burn him with the rifle ignition.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

It is simple for me, anyway I have reduced it to being simple... If you are going to hunt with a PRB - 54 is the way to go. If you are going to shoot a conical or sabot then the 50 offers a huge varitey ofoptions, the 54 is very limited. Anything you can shoot in a 54 other than a PRB - you can shoot faster and almost a big if that is your thing in a 50. I have some 620 grain 50 cal conicals here and they certainly are big - if big is your thing.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Yes flinters can be shot off hand. I do it all the time. As for burning up, I am not sure what you mean about that.

Just remember that the vent hole needs to have some clearance to it when you shoot. I was shooting mine one afternoon and a friend was over. He seemed determined to sit on my right, where he could watch the lock. I told him twice to stay away from the side of that rifle, just for his protection. My fear was it would flash burn him with the rifle ignition.
By offhand I mean a lefty shooting a righthanded rifle lefthandedand as you said about the flash venting, will I get burnt?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot flintlocks upside down, but never left handed... If you forgot and held you arm high, you could get flashed, although there are lots of left hand shooters that use a right hand flintlock. Although they find the left hand much more comfortable and easy on the pan flash as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Food for thought that is for sure. I'll have to try my young fella's righthanded Deerstalker lefthanded and see what happens. The reason I ask is that it offers up a whole (to use a Canadian term) hockey sock full of options as far as rifles are concerned.

Thanks guy's!

HuntAway
Old 11-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Round balls or conicals only, I'd pick the .54cal. Everything else, .50cal.

My uncle always hunted with a T/C Hawkin in .54cal. Always shot RB, and it'd do one heck of a job on whitetails.

Mike

Quick Reply: A Case For or Against the .54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.