Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question on Conicals >

Question on Conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on Conicals

Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Question on Conicals

I just picked up some T/C 275 gr Maxihunter's to try in my 50 caliber Winchester X-150. It seems as if no bullet-sabot combination works. I've tried a few. The barrel's just too darn tight.

Anyways, I vaguely remember hearing something about a cardboard or felt pad going between the conical and the powder charge. Is this necessary? Does it just provide a better gas seal? Also, am I correct in assuming I can just pick up a bunch from Basspro or GanderMountain? Is there concern about the pad not going flat over the powder charge (bunching up)? Thanks for the advice, y'all. Sooner or later I'll figure this gun out.
-- B
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on Conicals

Called Felt Wads and yes I use them with conicals with very good results. Can find here reasonably:
www.trackofthewolf.com

T/C Maxi's are ok conicals. Don't push them too fast or they (and pretty much any other conical) will "strip" the rifling and lead-foul the bore - poor accuracy.

What powder, primer and projectiles and loads have you tried?

Hodgdon 777 FFG powder should work very well.Start out with thebelow mentioned projectiles with say aboiut 70-100gr FFG

Try shooting from a clean bore every time. I find the greatest consistancy for POI and loading is much easier on a clean dry bore than a fouled one.

Hereare a few projectiles (there are others)that should fit even the tightest bores:
[ul][*]Powerbelt Aerotips or Platinums, even though I'm not a fan they do load easily.[*]Hornady Great Pains 385gr Conical (with a felt wad). Great conical.[*]Hornady 240gr XTP with Green Sabot. (I have yet to find an ML that would not shoot these decent enough for hunting).[/ul]
Tahquamenon