Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What would you do? >

What would you do?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What would you do?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default What would you do?

I've got an issue and I need some help guys. Yesterday morning I was lowering my gun down from my stand and the knot I had tied to the gun came undone and the gun fell approximately 4 feet to the ground. I looked through it to see if the scope had been damaged and it looked fine. I hunted with my back up gun that night because I didn't want to take a chance on missing or worse yet injuring a deer. My question is, since I've got time tomorrow before I hunt, should I go to the range and see what its doin or should I chance it? Let me know what ya think.

One other question, I've been sighting it in 1.5" high at 75yards and right on at 100. Should I switch the yardage since hunting different locations starting tomorrow through thanksgiving or should I just sight it in at the same range? I'm guessing the I could get the deer at 100 yds or closer but last year killed two out past 150 at the location I'll be at for the next few days.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

I think you answered your own question.......
I hunted with my back up gun that night because I didn't want to take a chance on missing or worse yet injuring a deer.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

but I would rather use my ml
Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IndyHunter83

I've got an issue and I need some help guys. Yesterday morning I was lowering my gun down from my stand and the knot I had tied to the gun came undone and the gun fell approximately 4 feet to the ground. I looked through it to see if the scope had been damaged and it looked fine. I hunted with my back up gun that night because I didn't want to take a chance on missing or worse yet injuring a deer. My question is, since I've got time tomorrow before I hunt, should I go to the range and see what its doin or should I chance it? Let me know what ya think.

One other question, I've been sighting it in 1.5" high at 75yards and right on at 100. Should I switch the yardage since hunting different locations starting tomorrow through thanksgiving or should I just sight it in at the same range? I'm guessing the I could get the deer at 100 yds or closer but last year killed two out past 150 at the location I'll be at for the next few days.
By all means go to the range and verify your zero! If you DON'T, the biggest dad-burn buck you ever saw will walk out 30 yards from you, and LHAO while you struggle trying to reload because the first shot missed! Just as you slip the cap onto the nipple, he'll step back into the brush and disappear!

BT-DT!! Happened in Indiana too! At Crane Naval Ammunition Depot!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, get to a range and shoot that rifle. I probably has not been damaged, but better safe then sorry. If you're comfortable with the scope set the way it is right now, leave it. You have been shooting it that way and since there is that chance for a longer shot.. might as well have the best of both worlds on your side..

Good luck and let us know how the rifle turned out.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 PM

take it from me go to the range. this past weekend i was in the swamp looking for some other place to put a stand and hit my scope a good one. that was the only gun i had with me i took it with me on the afternoon hunt and you would know a nice eight point buck showed up at about 125 150 yards and stood there while i shot two times at him he just looked around and grunted i only had one speed loader with me i let my son use my other two it did not matter in the end because my scope must be way off but i will go back there for him the funny thing is my friends ask me what i was shooting at i said a doe they said you are dead on most of the time i smiled and said you cant win them all
so take it from me if you do not go to the rangr you could be sorry you didn't go goood luck to you
Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah... Thats what I figured. Prolly gonna keep with the same load. May possibly move to 100 grains but don't know. Still can't beleive how well it did.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the range and put the worrying to rest.