Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Failed @ Shooting PRB's >

Failed @ Shooting PRB's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Failed @ Shooting PRB's

Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Failed @ Shooting PRB's

I shot the heck out of them... some of them really well - some of them really bad... But for my first time i was just glad they cleared the barrel!!!

Shooting an old Renegade 54 cal (pitted barrel) 1/48with 80 & 70 grains of Pyro RS - .530 Speer Round ball -.015 Muzzleloader Originals Lubed Patch 2000+ . Fit seems really good and moves down the barrel tightly.

There was absolutely no pattern to anything from 25 yards to 100 yards. The only thing that seemed to be close was elevation at all distances... Left & right never came together...

Question? How do you properly place ball and patch... After the ball is pushed down into the barrel a couple of inches - if you look at it - you see about 1/2 the diameter of the ball but often the patch is not close to being equal all the way around the ball - Problem?

Appreciate any that comes about...

Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Failed @ Shooting PRB's

I'd switch to .018 Pillow ticking. After using it one time, i'll use them forever! As for the ball being centered on the patch, All you can do is give it your best. I dont think it will make a difference if one side has more sticking out than the other. Unless its an ungodly amount.

Did you find any recovered patches? It could also be the lube thats on them. I know factory bore buttered patches i used to get did not come with enough lube and they'd burn right up.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Dominant Buck

The off centered patch is the exact reason why I cut my patch at the muzzle. I have some pillow tick from Wal Mart. Tear a strip of that off. Lube that strip up with what ever. Then lay that over the muzzle. Seat the ball and cut the strip away with a knife or anything else you might have. There you are, perfectly centered patch every time.

Some Renegades are powder junkies. You might want to kick the powder charge up more. I shoot them with 90-100 grains of Goex 2f or Pyrodex RS.

Keep trying.. it is a lot different then shooting sabots..
Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I PLACE THE PRECUT ROUND PATCH ON TOP OF THE BARREL :
PLACED THE BALL CENTER OF PATCH :PATCH CENTER OF BORE
THEN KEEP THE BAL AND PATCH CENTER WITH FOREFINGERS AND A TAP WITH THE STARTER HAMMER
IFIND BLUE AND WHITE PILLOW MATERIAL .017 AND MY LUBE WORK FOR ME
I WILL BE GLADE TO SEND YOU SOME PRE-CUT PATCHES ALREADY LUBED IF YOU LIKE
WANT TO TRY SOME WADS UNDER THE PATCHED RB MAY GIVE YOU A BETTER SEAL COULD ALSO SEND YOU SOME
YOUR GUN MAY NOT LIKE PYRODEX
I SEEN RUSTED BORE SHOOT PRETTY GOOD AFTER A GOOD CLEANING
CHECK YOU PATCHES DOWN RAGE THEY SHOULD LOOK AND TELL YOU WHAT THE BARREL IS DOING POST A PICTURE OF THE FIRED PATCH
I FIND MY PATCHES ARE LIKE JUST AS GOOD AS NEW AFTER THEY ARE FIRED

Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

it is a lot different then shooting sabots..
Well, I will certainly verify that....
Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

lonewolf5348

CHECK YOU PATCHES DOWN RAGE THEY SHOULD LOOK AND TELL YOU WHAT THE BARREL IS DOING POST A PICTURE OF THE FIRED PATCH
I knew that - i remember reading that... I did not do that - dang! another learning curve - I am to old...

I WILL BE GLADE TO SEND YOU SOME PRE-CUT PATCHES ALREADY LUBED IF YOU LIKE
WANT TO TRY SOME WADS UNDER THE PATCHED RB MAY GIVE YOU A BETTER SEAL COULD ALSO SEND YOU SOME
When you say pre-cut - do mean as i think Dave is saying pre-cut to just the right size to fit around the ball with very little showing when the ball is pushed dowm?

I might take you up on that offer - later - I was just killing the afternoon (60 degrees here) after hunting this morning - I do not think I am going to get carried away with it until later....
Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

If you really want to make a patch flutter in the wind, lay the cloth over the bore, sink the ball, then actually send it a little bit deeper down the bore, then cut the patch material off the muzzle. This makes the patch a little bigger, and when you shoot the patch will leave the ball real fast and just float away in the breeze.

When you find the patch look for large tears in it or totally burned up. If it is really in ruff shape, you need to lapp the bore. Some of my patches are in such good shape, for kicks, I shot them again.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Once its on sight, You actually going to try shooting a deer with the PRB?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ballloader !
Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

shudupp! I am trying to expand my horizons.... proving old people can learn new tricks...

Quick Reply: Failed @ Shooting PRB's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.