Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Semisane's LOL Aperture Sight >

Semisane's LOL Aperture Sight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Semisane's LOL Aperture Sight

Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Semisane's LOL Aperture Signt

That is a great peice of creative engineering there. One thing you might want to consider is changing the modified nut out for one with the same thread pitch as the Lyman peep, then you could buy off the shelf peep inserts like the adjustable aperature rear peep for instant versatility. Of course that would increase the cost. You could still make your own as you did but with the Lyman size bolts instead of 1/2". Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Good job.

One suggestion, you might want to drillamatriix of holes. That way, you can adjust for distance and wind at the same time, just by using a different hole. It would lighten things up a bit also! Shuddup UC!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could also use nylon screws/nuts/whutever... at least for the inserts.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still need to modify the front sight and raise it to 1/2" for dead on at 50 yards, or about 5/8" to be dead on at 75 yards.
Remember - raising the front sight will lower the point of impact.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Remember - raising the front sight will lower the point of impact.
Yeah Wabi, I got that backwards and realized it when I reread my post. I was waiting for someone to comment. You win the Cupie Doll.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have peep sights and while they shoot real well for me, they are not practical in the shadows where I hunt in the afternoons.
Hey Cayugad, I went outside with the empty gun about twenty minutes after sunset and took a sight on my neighbor's dog about forty yards away (she would have had a heart attack if she'd been home). I could see OK with the 1/4" insert in place - but with the inserts out I could see real well through that 1/2" hole. No matter how dark or shadowey, if you can see it with your naked eye you can see it through that big hole. With a good bright front sight (ivory bead?) you could probably shoot in moonlight.

Try taking a strip if cardboard 3/4" wide and 2" long, put a 1/2" hole in one end, bend it into an "L" shape, and tape it to one of your barrels. You'll be amazed.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like another use for empty toilet paper rolls - I mean aside from being scope protectors.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Jim Corbett used to fasten a peeled willow stick to his barrel for point shooting man eating tigers in India at close range from machans [treestands]in the early 1900's.PS I'm surprised UC didn't suggest feminine hygene applicators?Harold [Sorry man but this was too good to pass up]
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Solved my front sight elevation problem. Got a couple of 4 X 40 socket head screws and a brass nut. Rounded the nut, filed the factory front sight flat, and soldered the nut to the flat.Now I can screw in different lengths of screw shanks(or screws with the head on) and change front sight height at will. The threaded post is real sharp when looking through the LOL aperture. Works great with my bi-focals on.

Now I'mthinking about drilling a hole through one of the socket heads and inserting about 1/4" of fiber optic filament.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM

I think your wife is correct!

Quick Reply: Semisane's LOL Aperture Sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.