Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning solution

Old 11-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Cleaning solution

Rusty Duck Black Off is the only thing that I use in cleaning. I used to"work" the hassle of hot water and soap, but after trying the black off solvent, NEVER, neverAGAIN. We all know that dreaded feeling of havinng to clean the muzzleloader after a shoot, but black off is so quick and easy, I don't dread the clean up any more. In fact, I shoot much more these days than I ever did, and I attribute it to the easy clean-up. Clean up involves simple swabbing with patches -using a properly sized jag - until they come out clean (and it won't take many). I use wet patchesto handrub/clean around breech area and nipple. During a shoot, and Iuse only sabots these days, I simply run a wet (and I mean wet) patch down and up the bore after each shot, and flip the patchonce over; Ican ram the sabot down foreach subsequentload like it was the first shot after a major clean. Black off is cheap, lasts a very long time, and I am convinced that it is the BEST solvent available. It does NOT affect ignition in any way, and I use only the ole #11 caps for ignition; never had a hang fire from a damp bore (and I am certain that it has been damp from the stuff, but it is alchohol based, so I think that it may actually help ignition). The black off is so cheap, there is no reason to NOT try it out. Black off is only a cleaner, so when storing the gun, a rust inhibitor is still necessary. Try it out, and I know that you'll like it, and it may provide you with more time to shoot, as you won'tspend as much time cleaning the smoke pole.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the "universal solvent" H²O.... plain old water!
I use windex, Butch's BP Bore Shine, T/C #13, and automotive anti-freeze diluted with water.........
but plain old water works well, too.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 AM

+2 On the Rusty Duck!It makes cleaning the gun a breeze. I carry the small container ( Looks like your wifes jewlery cleaner container) with me to the range. I run a couple of wet patches through the bore,then a dry one. I toss the breech plug into the container,and leave it there until I get home. Once home I use a brass bore brush (with more Rusty Duck,and scrubb the bore,then two dry patches,a light coating of your choice of bore protectant. Remove the breech plug clean it,lube the threads,and install it in the gun. Real painless,and I could actually do everything at the range,and be done with it in 5 minutes,but I like to let the breech plug soak. I believe it helpsdissolve the crud better making cleaning the breech plug easier. Ron
Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something I've found to work great is 624 cleaner from TechChem,Inc. It's $8/gallon. I put about a half-pint in a small plastic container (pint sized? Dollar Store cheapo with lid). Drop the small parts in the container and let soak while I do the bore and action. I use a tooth brush and breech brush dipped in the 624and quickly scrub the hideouts and run a few dampened patches through the bore. Wipe down all the small parts with a shop towel or rag, run a 624 dampened pipe cleaner in and out the breechplug a few times, then run a bit of alcohol through the flame channel. When done, put the lid on and use it until it's just too dirty (number of uses depends upon how dirty the rifle got but probably three complete cleanings).

The only thing it doesn't seem to get rid of is plastic deposit. Super Clean from Wal-Mart takes care of that (be careful... if used in your bore follow with a couple of patches with 624 or several with water).

Good stuff. I blow everything dry after the above and coat with preservative such as BreakFree CLP.
624 is made by a local business so I don't pay any shipping - your price with shipping might make other products more desirable. http://techcheminc.com/cleaners.htm#Spray%20624™ down the page a bit.

I've always been very meticulous in cleaning and surely take more time than most. My methods in the past have been "whatever strikes my fancy" on that particular day but always the same result - a clean and protected rifle. The 624method has lately become a routine and my cleaning time has been cut in half.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flint head

The best I have found is Mean Green window cleaner, It's available at Dollar General stores if you have one in your area.
That's what I bought also. And it cuts the powder fouling like RIGHT NOW! Pretty good stuff and it only costs a buck! I was truly amazed at how fast this stuff works. Get the version with vinegar. At least thats what I bought and was recommended on here. Thanks!

chris