Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 YRIED A NEW CLEANING SOLUTION LAST NIGHT >

YRIED A NEW CLEANING SOLUTION LAST NIGHT

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

YRIED A NEW CLEANING SOLUTION LAST NIGHT

Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default YRIED A NEW CLEANING SOLUTION LAST NIGHT

A gentleman I meet at sportsmans warehouse told me about this. Take 1 part murpht's oil, peroxcide, and 97% alcolhol and mix them together. It seemed to clean very well,plus it kinda smells good to!

I'm sure some of you oldtimers have all ready tried this, how well id it work for you
Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: YRIED A NEW CLEANING SOLUTION LAST NIGHT

People used to make a cleaner called MAP. Which stood for Murphy's Oil Soap, Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide. Normally it is mixed with 10% Oil Soap, and 45% if the peroxide and alcohol respectively. Its a good cleaner but can cause flash rusting.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I wonder if thats why the guy told me to use more soap, even though I all ways use bore butter after cleaning.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

MAP is a very good cleaner. Just make sure you dry that bore ASAP and get something in there to protect it. The Peroxide I was told is what causes the oxidation but I can not prove that. I stopped using it because it was just as easy to make stuff that did the same thing and really were no danger to the bore.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

SO what is your secret weapon for cleaning?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

No secret to us 'old timers' as you called us. (no offense taken). I use hot soapy water (dawn dish detergent), a brass brush, jag with cotton patches and some elbow grease. Follow that with a clean hot water rinse. Dry the bore. And this is where some of us have our differences. I personally use bore butter and it works fine for me. Others use a quality gun oil.
Some say the bore butter may allow rust to start after prolonged storage. I haven't seen that yet. But then again, my MLs don't sit long enough.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Ask the Russians what happens when you use Peroxide in torpedos. Granted they used a much stronger product,but it is very corrosive.

Charlie
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I use MAP to clean my flintlocks, especially around the pan, underside of the frizzen and any areas that tend to cake after a day od shooting. It literally melts away black powder residue. I dont use it in the bore though because it will take the seasoning out, making it prone to rust.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

BIG.PAUL

I will copy Bronco's post and change what I use...

I use hot soapy water (Zep Citrus Cleaner Degreaser), a brass brush (do not use unless really necessary which it seldom is), jag with cotton patches and some elbow grease. Follow that with a clean hot water rinse. Dry the bore. And this is where some of us have our differences. I personally use bore butter and it works fine for me. (I used BB then switched to T17 patches for years and years - then wwitched to Slip 2000 synthetic oil and now have switched again to Montana Extreme - Bore Conditioner. Others use a quality gun oil.

But even before all of that the most simple way to get your bore about 98% clean is patch with plain old regular blue Windex. Use the same thing for patching @ the range although with the advent of MX-BC I am using a a plain dry patch.