Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Smokeless Powder Question >

Smokeless Powder Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless Powder Question

Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Smokeless Powder Question

I am new to the forum and have been reading a lot of the post. It seems that there are a lot of knowledgeable people posting here. My question is below. Thanks in advance for the comments.

In a local gun shop that I visit there is a group of people that have been shooting smokeless powder in their Encores. I am not aware of the powder brand but I did hear that it was around 28 grains. Do you believe that this would be safe in an Encore or has anyone experimented with this or know of anyone that has?

I have been on the side of not getting the performance out of the ML that I would prefer, but I would not want to jeopardize mine or someone else’s life. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smokeless Powder Question

Bottom line is DON'T DO IT. T/C hasmade it very clear and has been very adamant about NOT using any smokeless powder in any of their muzzleloaders, period. That is T/C's public and offical position and it has not changed and will not change. Their muzzleloaders are NOT made to shoot smokeless powders. To do so, not only puts the shooter at risk but all those in the immediate vicinity as well. Make it clear to them they are endangering themselves and those around by shooting smokeless powder in their Encores.

If you or those guys at your local gun shop want to take advantage of the benefits ofshooting smokeless powders in a muzzleloader, then get a muzzleloader designed and built from the get-go to shoot smokeless powder, like the Savage 10ML-II.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Do they want you to do it? No. The fact is, most modern made muzzleloaders can and have been tested to withstand the pressures of normal loads of smokeless. For insurance reasons, they don't want you to do it probably because they don't want stupid people to load 100grains of smokeless simply because they used to load 100 grains of pyrodex. People will do this and they will hurt themselves.

The reason why smokless is NOT reccomended in black powder rifles comes from old muzzleloders? Antique muzzleloaders did not have the quality of metal or the quality of barrell/breach making techniques that we have today. When smokeless was introduced, the old muzzleoaders could not withstand the breach pressures, and I guess the old adage never went away.

This being said. I would reccomend sticking with the manufacterers suggestions or buy a Savage if you want to go smokeless and arguably have the best performing muzzleloader on the market.

Smokeless powder is the original black powder substitute
Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Ive heard personal stories of centerfire encore barrels letting loose. I damn sure wouldnt load it with smokeless powder.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask yourself this question, is any possible gain from using the smokeless powder worth a finger, an eye or your life? If not, then strictly adhere to the guidance of the manufacturer. All those guys you hear at the gun shop, they sound just like the kids I used to work with in the Navy. Every one of them knew more about their motorcycles than the millions of riders before them.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

When one of these idiots has an Encore blow up in his face andleave him blinded; he will sue TC, of course.