Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 To knurl or not to knurl? >

To knurl or not to knurl?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

To knurl or not to knurl?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To knurl or not to knurl?

I have some .503 Bull Shop 460's that are just a bit loose in the 2 guns I shoot them in, i.e. they can be shaken off the powder in a clean barrel but not a fouled barrel. My next order will be for the .504's which stay put as they should. I got to thinking about knurling them on the front driving band to see if I could swell them up by .001 so they would stay put. I thought I would ask if anyone has ever tried doing that to a conical. If so, how did it work and what is the easiest way to do that? Thanks in advance for any replies.

BTW, I have tried wrapping them with teflon tape but didn't get as good of accuracy that way.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To knurl or not to knurl?

I've never done that so can't say. If you could put a consistent squeeze (nose to base) on the bullets - you could bump the diameter a bit.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about doing that but don't think I have the ability or toolsto do a consistant job of it from bullet to bullet. I'll have to give that some more thought though.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

How many .503's do you have? I use the .503 in the GM-LRH, but have a couple two or three boxes of .504's
Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
I'm not at home, had to fly to Phoenix for 2 weeks on a job so I can't give you an exact number. I probably have between 30 and 40 but not sure. I originally bought 50 .503's and 50 .501's. The .501's work well in 2 of the guns we have but the .503's are a bit loose in the other 2. The .504's you sent me a while back worked well in those 2 and would not shake off the powder. If your interested in trading I would be interested, just need to wait till I get home to confirm the number.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

Let me know when you git home...